High Performance & Reliable PSU ?

RichardParry

Supreme [H]ardness
I am building a high-uptime Xeon server, which requires a minimum of 300W to run, however I would be looking for a PSU rating of around 350W..... the PSU is to be installed in a 4U rackmount chassis and needs maximum airflow, so I will want a PSU with dual fan's.

However, at the moment I will only need the single PSU, but later on I will be buying a quad redundant PSU (around 460W), but in the mean-time, I will be using the single PSU, so I need a high quality PSU which will work well under light load and the less likely to damage the motherboard.... are there any out there which you can recommend ? :)

Btw, it would be good to have temperature controlled fans on the PSU also.... ;)

Thanx !

If your looking for temp controlled fans then i would go with the Antec 430w. A Fortron 400w would be another good idea. Either one will be more then enough power and both are the top brands.

http://store.yahoo.com/akidacomputer/acpowsup50du.html

500W dual fans / excellent build quality / pushes a lot of air
$23/shipped (don't let the low price fool you, could put a different brand sticker on and sell it like those $100+ bs PSUs)

I have 3 of these in use currently and they run perfectly (1 in my main gaming rig, 1 in my file server, 1 in my brother's business machine).

If you need a power supply around 350 watts, go with the Antec Truepower 380. Newegg has it for $55.

Originally posted by pfc_m_drake
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

Give these guys a call. Tell them your requirements, and they'll be happy to give you a recommendation.

They're not cheap...but they're the best...no question about it.

they are actually where I bought my xeon fan's from (Slot 2 type Xeon's), as they are pretty much the only supplier of Slot 2 Xeon coolers on the planet, as far as I know ;)

I will probably go with an Antec Truepower 350W, there is one at work and its of a very high build quality and not had any problems with it yet.....

The single PSU is only for a temporary solution until I get the money to buy a dual/quad redundant PSU, so I dont want to spend too much money on a single PSU at this stage.... :)

Thanx for the replys btw !

Uh, you better check which power supplies work with your motherboard. It's very likely that a vanilla ATX power supply is not compatible with your Xeon system. For example, my Xeon computer takes EPS12V, which is not compatible with ATX supplies without modification.

Originally posted by xonik
Uh, you better check which power supplies work with your motherboard. It's very likely that a vanilla ATX power supply is not compatible with your Xeon system. For example, my Xeon computer takes EPS12V, which is not compatible with ATX supplies without modification.
Whoa - good catch. Xonik is on the money; check your MoBo for "Xeon specific" connections. You may find the Tt as well as the Antec has them but check before you order. It's usually an extra +12 or +3.3 connection.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Antec makes great power supplies and they are very reliable... I have an Antec TrueBlue 350W power supply and I couldn't be happier!

-warsaw

I already have the motherboard and cpu's etc, it just uses a standard 20pin ATX connector (there are 2x of them, if you need to install dual' single PSU's), I am using it at the moment on a super cheap (tin can) 300W PSU, but I want something high quality to use when I put the server into production....

I am probably going to buy the Thermaltake 420W, as its relatively cheap and all the reviews I have read so far are giving it high scores..... the auto-fan speed is also a bonus :)

Is the 4U rack you will be using capable of using standard atx powersupplies (with 24 pin EPS12V), or will it need modular psu's for hotswapping.. If hotswapping, I recommend zippy-emacs psu's.. or look at what (i want to say chenbro... chenming.. chentek.. ) has..

As for powersupplies that are standard atx. I can say

Use only Enermax, Antec, or (if you like wasting money) PC Power & Cooling..

wat every you do dont make the msitake of buyin a ghetto one like me, cause it will shit the bed and u will end up worryin y ur ocomp doesnt work

Originally posted by Raced_out_Computers
wat every you do dont make the msitake of buyin a ghetto one like me, cause it will shit the bed and u will end up worryin y ur ocomp doesnt work

Damn.. Does literacy only come with a higher post count?

yeah, the rack case I am buying for the board accepts standard ATX PSU's (never seen a 4U which doesn't, which is why they are popular for standard PC type components, as they are in essence a higher quality tower pc on its side.....)

the motherboard uses a single 20pin ATX (standard motherboard) style PSU connector, it has a 2nd connector for another PSU though (its a Tyan Thunder-X mobo)

--

the cheap'o tin can PSU I use came free with a case I bought for work, the case was so cheap and tacky, it would flex and bend if you tried to move it or pick it up, so you can imagine how cheap the PSU was ! (300W), the PSU is super thin, short thin wires too, not very good PSU tbh, but I am only using the PSU for testing at the moment

Antec Truepower 430w. Right now im running 2 optical drives, 2 hard drives, 6 fans, sound card, lan card, and a 9800xt. Nice and steady.

Back