High DPI mice

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
I have been using MIcrosoft intellimouse opticals since forever. have a stock pile of them cause I'm a south paw.

I'm trying out a a Corsair M55 RGB right now and I'm confused at what high DPI actually does other than seemingly jack up the mouse sensitivity? I am using the mouse on the lowest DPI, which I think is 800, because it feel most like the old 300 DPI or whatever an intellimouse optical 1.1 is. Making it higher just seems to be like i'm cranking up mouse sensitivity and acceleration and some DPIs don't even work, like the mouse is broken and jerking all over the place.

TLDR: What does high DPI do?

I have been using MIcrosoft intellimouse opticals since forever. have a stock pile of them cause I'm a south paw.

I'm trying out a a Corsair M55 RGB right now and I'm confused at what high DPI actually does other than seemingly jack up the mouse sensitivity? I am using the mouse on the lowest DPI, which I think is 800, because it feel most like the old 300 DPI or whatever an intellimouse optical 1.1 is. Making it higher just seems to be like i'm cranking up mouse sensitivity and acceleration and some DPIs don't even work, like the mouse is broken and jerking all over the place.

High DPI lets you move your mouse cursor fast and large distances without having to move your mouse large amounts.

High DPI is only useful in games like first person shooters where you use the mouse to look around.

Increase DPI on mouse and decrease in-game sensitivity to get the same turn speed but higher precision. On the desktop it just makes the mouse move faster.

Well, it primarily gets you to spend money you don't to have to on a mouse you don't need.....just because:

Attachments

• Greed is eternal.jpg
    Greed is eternal.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm confused at what high DPI actually does other than seemingly jack up the mouse sensitivity?
Nothing. That's it. It's useful for massive monitors where low DPI would be too slow. The vast majority of people don't need anything over 1000 DPI but mouse manufacturers used it as a marketing gimmick. I use 600 dpi on 1920x1080.

old 300 DPI or whatever an intellimouse optical 1.1 is

Increase DPI on mouse and decrease in-game sensitivity to get the same turn speed but higher precision.
There was also some talk that doing this has some synergy with some monitors (I forgot the details. I think it was discussed on blurbusters and maybe pcmonitors.info) so I tested it but I didn't notice any benefit.

Nothing. That's it. It's useful for massive monitors where low DPI would be too slow. The vast majority of people don't need anything over 1000 DPI but mouse manufacturers used it as a marketing gimmick. I use 600 dpi on 1920x1080.

There was also some talk that doing this has some synergy with some monitors (I forgot the details. I think it was discussed on blurbusters and maybe pcmonitors.info) so I tested it but I didn't notice any benefit.

Yeah I'm sure they've talked about it there.

Precision is more noticeable at higher resolutions and higher refresh rates.

You can sort of get the same idea by moving your mouse cursor one pixel at a time. It's not a smooth movement moving pixel to pixel, the cursor jumps from pixel to pixel. If you have lower resolution the pixels are bigger and the jumps are more noticable. If you have higher resolution it jumps less and looks smoother.

In an FPS it's basically the same thing but you aren't moving pixels you're turning X degrees. Lower sensitivity means you're turning less degrees for smoother movement. A low refresh rate hides the tiny jumps because every frame is basically a tiny jump. Your frame rate is the bottleneck not your mouse movement. But as you get to very high, smooth, refresh rates the jumps in the mouse movement are no longer hidden by the refresh rate and your mouse can become a bottleneck on smoothness.

I use 12,000 DPI and low sensitivity for more precision. I have it dialed in to where it feels perfect on a 4K screen. I used it on my 27" 4K monitor and my 48" 4K TV. I've tried going up to 25,000 DPI, but that seems like it's for 8K.

Back