Hercules PROPHETVIEW 920 PRO DVI ?

I ordered from Amazon about a week agao (guessing from the specs and stuff that it was the DVI version). I'll let you know if I ever get it and if it is indeed the DVI version.

Originally posted by Impervious
I ordered from Amazon about a week agao (guessing from the specs and stuff that it was the DVI version). I'll let you know if I ever get it and if it is indeed the DVI version.

Thanks.

Why did you decide on this screen?

My thoughts were:
-My current screen (samsung 19" 955sl) is starting to flip out, so I need to get a new screen.
-I wanted a LCD with a good response time, yet have the full range of color (the AU panels were out).
-Was considering a 2001fp, but would have to pay an extra $325 and it seems the Q/A for them right now isn't so good.
-From reviews I have seen...Hercules is emphasizing quality construction. I'm willing to pay a bit more than some of the cheaper 17" for that.
-A lot of my computer usage consists of: the internet, watch dvds and avi files, doing video and image editing. From what I have seen LCD screens have no problems with this.

:D

Well, I have to retract my previous statements about the Prophetview 920 Pro DVI.

I'm about to send it back to Hercules.

1) No dead pixels, which was good
2) WAY TOO BRIGHT. I had to turn the contrast and brightness down a lot to be able to look at it.
3) Their tech support *****. I emailed tech support last week and haven't heard back from them, whereas I did hear from the Customer Service department, but they stated that I had to get in contact with them via email, and phoning was not an option.
4) Although games look good with very little ghosting, I don't game all the time, and ghosting is a problem on the desktop. Now at work we have an 18" Dell monitor with a 25 ms response time and it doesn't ghost at all on the desktop, whereas if I drag a window on the Hercules monitor, everything either trails horribly or flickers. I tried setting different values, but only by turning the contrast way up can I get rid of it, but by then the screens just bright white anyways.
(I also notice a lot of flickering with games under 30 fps and watching DVDs)

I was hoping that maybe I just needed to change the settings but that doesn't seem to work at all, and was hoping that maybe its just defective? If anyone else has it and doesn't experience any flickering or ghosting when dragging windows around, please let me know.

Have you tried the setting "Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution desplays"? I have read about that causing some problems in various LCDs.

Well that's in my ati cards settings, no idea if nvidia cards have that.

hmm that doesn't sound so good, anyone else with one of these that would like to comment? :(

Well I canceled my order...on Toms msg board someone said that this was not the DVI version, it includes a VGA to DVI adapter. I checked out hercules site and it mentions in the specs that the standard version is VGA/DVI compatable so that's probably the adapter. Looks like I'll have to wait for the next generation of LCDS....

Originally posted by Impervious
Well I canceled my order...on Toms msg board someone said that this was not the DVI version, it includes a VGA to DVI adapter. I checked out hercules site and it mentions in the specs that the standard version is VGA/DVI compatable so that's probably the adapter. Looks like I'll have to wait for the next generation of LCDS....

Thanks for the info, just canceled mine. Might look to the 2001fp now...

that window 'ghosting' or 'stuttering' almost sounds like a video driver issue. If you install windows 98 and don't put on any video drives, draggin windows produces the same effect.....if i understsood what you were talking about correctly

I've tried both an ATI Radeon 9800 & a Geforce FX 5950.

Same effect with windows.

My own computer is that ATI 9800, and have tried Catalyst drivers 3.8 - 4.1 with different customizations.

As far as the flickering, here is an mpg of it. Granted, its not 100% in sync, and the monitor is ALOT brighter than what you see, and it flickers a lot worse than this.

This is Ultima 5 running...

http://www.geocities.com/nytegard/prophetview920prodvi.zip

Remember, right click and save as. It's geocities so you just can't click on the link.

im thinking about getting this LCD, is it better to get a DVI version? All i care about is ghosting. Does the Anag ghost more or less then the DVI version.

Back