Help with wireless access points - what channel do I use?

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to add an access point to my existing 802.11g network to give me better coverage in my house. My current router is on channel 11. Should I use the same channel or a different channel?

I've done this before... I just can't remember if I used the same channel or not. I set up a wireless network with 3 access points for a client of mine and it has worked great for the past 8 months or so.

Thanks!

Well....

I'm amsuming that your on a 2.4 GHZ access point. My answer is yes...for two reasons:

1. All modern cordless phones and other wireless stuff are on the 2.4 ghz frequency. If you do change the channel, it will set the freqency just below 2.4 GHZ and it won't interfere with anything else in your house. Very handy and It's what I do.

2. Some announymus person might try to hack into your network from accross the block or something and they'll assume your on Channel 11. If your on Channel 6, your frequency will be something like 2.6578 or something and it will be harder for he/she to guess that. I also recommend MAC addressing. It's one of the best to tie down and secure your network.

I hope this helps. If you do change the channel, make sure all your cards can detect it or change them manually.

while the general idea in your head is right, you have no idea what you're talking about, computerbox.

first off, anything liscensed int he 2.4 ghz spectrum cant go under 2.400

channel 6 is NOT 2.65ghz...thats just wrong.

and its mac address FILTERING.

also, what channel you use isnt something guessable, its automaticly detected by any wifi device.

You're all missing the point. I know how to set up wireless networks, how to secure them and I know about channels etc.

I'm asking if you have 2 access points for the same network should they both be on the same channel or should they be on different channels. I want seamless roaming through my house and I want to be able to pick up the strongest access point wherever I am.

you want them on different channels so that they wont cause interference on each other

Back