Help with SMP client?

infect0

[H]ard|Gawd
First of all is the SMP client worth running over the normal windows client? I have a dual core and am trying to get the most out of my system. I only pull around 300ppd on my current rig on a E6600.

Secondly are there any good instructions for setting up the SMP client because I am having the hardest time with it.

Yes the SMP client is well worth running. You will destroy your current numbers.

What OS are you running?

The SMP client will probably do 10x the PpD of one Standard client on the E6600.

Which OS are you running on your dual core ?
It makes a difference on how easy the install is.

Luck ........... :D

Running XP. I will check out that link and see what I can do. Thanks for all the help guys. I am assuming i should keep the P4 running the console version? It does not do much but it is my media machine/server so it sits on anyway.

Yes, the P4 should only run the console version or if you have a supported video card, the GPU client which will outproduce the console client several times over.

Ok cool I will keep the P4 chugging along with the console version.

Ok so I got the SMP setup. Using FAHspy I see that after loading a new WU I get this error. Couldn't open go file then the core shuts down but I can still see 4 instances of FAHcore_a1.exe running full blast. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Good point.

[22:09:08] - Going to use standard loops.
[22:09:08] - Files status OK
[22:09:14] Starting from initial work packet
[22:09:15]
[22:09:15] Project: 2653 (Run 10, Cl- Starting from initial work packet
[22:09:15] Project: 2653 (Run 10, Clone 162, Gen 63)
[22:09:17] Entering M.D.
[22:09:23] Couldn't open Go file
[22:09:23]
[22:09:23] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
[22:09:23] Finalizing output

Copy & paste the error lines out of your FAHlog file.

Edit. to slow.

Important line is -> [22:09:23] Couldn't open Go file
Did the Install.bat run ok.
Check that the firewall/ virus scanner is not blocking something.

Luck .......... :D

Going to look into if Nod32 is maybe conflicting with it but for the meantime will just run the regular graphical version until I get it sorted in the next few days. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help.

Infect0, I have been thinking that Nod32 doesn't play nice with with the FAH software as well, but I am still trying to verify that. I should have a better idea by tomorrow with the new build of the Nod software that was just released. You can configure NOD32 to exclude the entire FAH folder from real time scanning check out this link for instructions:
http://training.eset.com/kb/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=29&page=articles&articleid=560
Be sure to also exclude the FAH applications from Nod32's network filtering (instructions also in the above link).
I have had better luck with Nod disabled than with it enabled!

I'd kinda like a little clarification about running as a service. I imagine that means it would run in the background without showing up as a window. Would that make it more stable? I have a problem with my client stopping (most likely due to the fact that I am on wireless).

I need to figure out a way to make my SMP run more hours. Could this be the way. My wireless has never really worked right since I got it. I don't think it works quite right with 64 bit XP. I never really loose connectivity, but the bubble at the bottom that says "now connected to..." comes up every once in a while.

Would running it as a service make it less likely to be affected by that?

Running as a service will not fix your woes, it may make things worse.

I find any time my windows boxes lose connection momentarily...the client throws errors and likes to start from scratch on the WU. It makes for a lot of lost time...

One option to try if you've a bad wireless connection is to run the Linux client inside a VM.
That way the client uses the VM's internal network connection and not the box's external network connection.
I can unplug my wired connection on my VM boxes and the clients inside the VM's keep running.

Downside is you need slightly more resorces to run the VM's and they dont give up cycles like a normal client would.

Luck ..................... :D

If I understand correctly, running SMP in Vista also kinda eases those woes right?

I am getting Vista from Flyingcrazy some time in the next week or so. Being I will be able to start fresh with that, I am hoping I can get some of these problems sorted out when I start anew. The points/CPU usage of the SMP are hard to turn down. It's nice to see my computer running at 100% most of the time.

I will be starting a thread soon about that, asking for advice for when I make the switch. I have to get a new copy of office first, that copy of vista, and a few other things (like a real keyboard, not wireless).

ok..since there are questions here I am having an issue too as of today...xp was running great as a service but now I see that it is hung and when I try to start it is saying the following

"Could not start the FAH@C:+Program Files+Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01+fah.exe service on Local Computer.

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

I am getting that when I try to restart the service...I tried rebooting a couple of times but not sure what happened. I did just load Unreal Tournament 3 on my system but that was over the weekend and it had been running fine...I did have a crash today and wonder if that is what is causing this...any ideas on how to get it back up and running?

I was getting that FILE_IO_ERROR for awhile and people were suggesting to me it was my OC. I went down from 400 FSB to 333 FSB and still was getting it; it occurred to me that maybe NOD32's active monitor might be at a slight moment interfering with file access and hence the error. So far it's been running without the error with AMON disabled but still not conclusive.

Back