Help with SATA

Turkish621

Gawd
Ok so I am putting together the system below. I am trying to instal windows xp pro and I am running into a wall. I have removed the jumper from my drive (was told that helps) and I hit f6 when asked to, then it asks to install my 3.5" floppy disk? wtf? I didn't get a 3.5" floppy with the hard drive, I don't even have a 3.5" drive. Can I download this somewhere, and can I use a usb thumbdrive, or do I have to dig out my old floppy? Thanks

Are you setting up RAID? You don't need to press F6 at setup if your mobo has native SATA ports. As long as you have it setup in the BIOS to detect the drive. I didn't have a floppy when I build my system and XP went on my Raptor just fine. Try to setup without pressing F6 and see if a HDD is detected.

make sure that your setting it correctly when you remove the jumper, and thats not a setting that you really don't want.

(I don't know about raptors but I had a WD SE drive and it was supposed to be set w/o a jumper too)

Yes, your going to need the floppy drive. I have never been able to slipstream those drivers into XP, so you'll need the floppy drive, and you'll need the disk that came with your mobo. If you lost it, download the floppy image/drivers from your mobo maker's site.

No this is not a raid setup, what do you mean in the bios to detect that drive? maybe I need to dig there more but I did not see any settings for sata hard drives.

Originally posted by Turkish621
My mobo only came with a cd, no floppy.

See if the CD has the drivers you can copy to a floppy, or download them.

boot options are floppy, ls120, hdd0, scsi, cdrom, hdd1, hdd2, hdd3, zip, usb-fdd, usb zip, usb-cdrpm, usb-hdd, lan, disabled. Which one should I pick? It has to be cd-rom to install windows right? but does one of these settings matter for detecting sata?

You'll need a floppy drive and copy the SATA controller drivers during the Windows installation, as Windows only allows you to install SCSI/RAID drivers from A:. And unlike the others who said to setup the drive in the BIOS, this is wrong, the computers BIOS isn't even aware of SATA drives or controllers, it's setup like a SCSI device. If this is just a single hd setup configure your CDROM/DVDROM, etc in the BIOS and all other ATA/IDE devices should be set to NONE. In the boot order, at the point you want your system to try to boot off the hard drive set it to SCSI (example first boot device:CDROM, second boot device: SCSI, third boot device... etc) You'll see your hard drive appear at the screen after the regular post when your SATA controller's BIOS runs, thats where you get the hit CTRL + S message to configure a RAID setup, but you dont need to do anything in there. As long as the drive is set to the first SATA port all you need to do is copy the drivers from the CD to a floppy, and then hit F6 when Windows installation starts and pop the floppy in to copy the drivers over and from there its the same as normal.

thanks, I got it going now. I just think that it is so stupid that I spend $100 plus on an Asus board and they don't even give me a floppy with the drivers on it. Oh well, they can't think of everything. Thanks guys.

Did you use a floppy drive and press F6 to set it up? Glad you got it working. FWIW I never did anything that everyone just stated to do. I distinctly remember putting my system together, powering up to the BIOS, changed some settings and information, booted to the CDROM and installed windows. Here is what the setup is like currently in the BIOS:

bios.jpg

Back