Help with new workstation motherboard.

P4Power

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone! I am thinking about building myself a proper workstation soon and just need a little help picking the board and HSFs.

I am currently looking at this board:
ASUS Z9PE-D16/2L SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011

It seems to have pretty good ratings compared to the other boards. Is this a pretty good board? I have built many systems over the years, but never a dual-socket setup so this is new territory for me.

I am not going to be doing any kind of "mission/job critical" stuff on this system. The following is the rest of the build which is basically set in stone as what I want. Massive overkill, yes, but that is how I like it. ;) My requirements are basically for it to handle anything I can throw at it CPU-wise and have it laugh back in my face.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The PSU in that case is a POS, i know because i have a 650w TP-Trio in one of my rigs - efficiency is not its strongest point.

Most SM boards are pretty good so it should last you a good while, if you want any alternative how about the asus Z9pe.

The PSU in that case is a POS, i know because i have a 650w TP-Trio in one of my rigs - efficiency is not its strongest point.

Most SM boards are pretty good so it should last you a good while, if you want any alternative how about the asus Z9pe.

Thanks! I have had really good luck with ASUS boards in the past so I am going to go with the one you suggested. Also thank you for letting me know about that PS in that case. I have used Antec's before but not lately. The ASUS board's form factor has required me to change cases as well, which is fine.

Last edited:
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the components above! I'll post back about how it goes!

That PSU only has 1 8-pin CPU connector. You need one with 2.

I have this in my KGPE-D16 rig: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151100

also get some of thes for that case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816212010

I have the same case, it's really nice but an FYI the rear PWM fan sucks and the middle 2 Deltas are 3-pin not PWM.

Yeah, I had a hell of a time trying to find a PSU with two 8-pin CPU connectors so I ended up buying a PCI-Express 6-pin to 8-pin EPS adapter as well. Thanks for noticing that though! ;)

That case also back-ordered after I ordered so I had to go with this one:

CHENBRO SR10569-CO 0.8mm SECC Pedestal

It has also been discontinued as of this morning and I really hope one made its way out to me before that happened.

I wouldn't touch that case with a stick...

And would have recommended the Workstation version of that Asus board...or the open box of the one you ordered for $100 less.

FYI 8pin EPS is capable of 384watts, pcie 6pin is 75w if your board won't boot or is unstable...or the adapter melts (probably won't happen...I hope) . You will know why.

I second getting a real PSU... I don't know why you had trouble finding one with dual EPS... what were you looking at?

Back