Help with computer problems

Ahriman

Limp Gawd
About a week or two ago my computer started to severly slow down. I've scanned it for spyware, viruses, defragmented, and ran scandisk. I cannot figure out what is causing this computer to "lag" so much. I open a program, an internet browser, or even windows explorer and it takes damn near a minute to open it up. Now, I recently had Windows Service Pack 2 installed, and I removed it because it was conflicting with some essential software that I have. Could uninstalling this have caused the slow down in my computer's performance? All of my components are pretty up to date, so it's not like that is the reason it's slowed down. I'm running with 512mb of pc3200 corsair ram, an asus mobo, athlon xp 2800, 40 gig HDD, and the other stuff is standard. Any ideas, let me know.

A clean install ALWAYS does the trick... :) I've been running this install for about 4 months. It's a work computer, so I need the quick opening and closing of applications. Anyway, I ran hijackthis and there wasn't anything suspicious, just programs that I already knew about. I reinstalled SP2 and wouldn't ya know... it did the trick. I guess if you install SP2 and then unintall it, nothing works right. So I put it back on and I guess I'll just forego the Winfax Host Sharing at work. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Back