Help troubleshooting laptop performance issues

SPECS
i5 1140H
16Gb ram
500Gb M.2
Gigabyte G5 KD

PROBLEM
Playing at 30-40FPS in Fortnite after a minute or so of play. Starts at 144fps, then slowly goes down to 30FPS (this is on low settings).
3000pts below average on TimeSpy benchmark
CPU temp hovering at 100c
Fans are both on, and moving a LOT of extremely hot air, as they should be.

THINGS I'VE TRIED
Repasted the CPU and GPU with MX-4 thermal grease
Updated BIOS
Completely reinstalled Windows 11
Installed all new drivers, including NVidia
Set to performance mode
Undervolted the CPU by .8v

The CPU idles at 70-80C, and shoots to 100C right away when gaming. I am assuming this is a thermal throttle, but what else can I do?
Any help appreciated.

SPECS
i5 1140H
16Gb ram
500Gb M.2
Gigabyte G5 KD

PROBLEM
Playing at 30-40FPS in Fortnite after a minute or so of play. Starts at 144fps, then slowly goes down to 30FPS (this is on low settings).
3000pts below average on TimeSpy benchmark
CPU temp hovering at 100c
Fans are both on, and moving a LOT of extremely hot air, as they should be.

THINGS I'VE TRIED
Repasted the CPU and GPU with MX-4 thermal grease
Updated BIOS
Completely reinstalled Windows 11
Installed all new drivers, including NVidia
Set to performance mode
Undervolted the CPU by .8v

The CPU idles at 70-80C, and shoots to 100C right away when gaming. I am assuming this is a thermal throttle, but what else can I do?
Any help appreciated.
You sure there isnt something wrong with the cpu fan?

Also, cap the game at 60.

Is it perhaps defaulting to the iGPU instead of the discreet GPU? Or some type of conflict? Yes, it is a reach.

Is it perhaps defaulting to the iGPU instead of the discreet GPU? Or some type of conflict? Yes, it is a reach.
I went into the NVidia control panel and selected the GPU to be the global GPU.

Also, in task manager, the GPU is going to 100% usage when gaming.

Thanks for trying to figure this out with me!

New piece of info. My son told me that he did spill some water on it.
The strange part is, it runs beautifully for the first minute or so, full 144FPS, nice and smooth. Then is slowly starts degrading, until it is hovering around 30FPS and unplayable.

I'm no pro, but that doesn't sound like water damage does it? I mean, it will work beautifully for a few minutes when first turned on.

I went into the NVidia control panel and selected the GPU to be the global GPU.

Also, in task manager, the GPU is going to 100% usage when gaming.

Thanks for trying to figure this out with me!
Then guessing a HP/HS/FAN issue and would perform and record benchmarks to the best of your ability then RMA. Also have you done similar stress tests on CPU? That as well could be the bottleneck. I know 100% GPU doesn't show that, but weirder things have happened. A quick CineBench should put that to rest. Narrow down which component is bunk and not performing, which you may have done to your satisfaction already, then contact support and start the RMA process. Showing isolated benchmarks often get quicker results. Sometimes ;)

Last edited:
Does this happen with only Fortnite? You need to Tey other multiple games to be sure about this.

Found the problem. You need to replace your son. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But on a serious note, water can have a bad effect depending on if it was on or off at the time and where the water went. If it's under warranty, I would warranty it at this point.

I don't think it's a faulty fan. It is moving a LOT of hot air out.
The monitor is 144Hz.
Thanks for your help!
There's no reason that chip shouldn't be able to push 144 in Fortnite. It's not a very intensive game.
The strange part is, it runs beautifully for the first minute or so, full 144FPS, nice and smooth. Then is slowly starts degrading, until it is hovering around 30FPS and unplayable.

I'm no pro, but that doesn't sound like water damage does it? I mean, it will work beautifully for a few minutes when first turned on.
That'll do it!

Is it getting enough air from the bottom? Cpu idling at 80 indicated an airflow problem, voltage problem, or temperature sensor problem.

Back