HELP: Reading data from locked android

d50man

2[H]4U
I have a phone that was taken from my 15 yo niece that may have messages from older men on it she won't give up the pattern lock or the google account that the device is tied to what are my options to recover the data short of getting the cops involved?

She is not allowed to have a phone this one was given to her by someone!

the phone is an verizon LG-vs410

Honestly, sounds like it's time to sit down with her and let her know your concerns. If she gas nothing to hide, she'll unlock it. If she does, then it sounds like contacting the police isn't a bad idea for her safety.

Sorry to hear about the. That sucks man.

Also.even if you can find a way to circumvent the lock, your still faced with the same prolem. If you find something, you have to contact the police. If you dont, you still have the concern of who's paying for the phone...

Sounds like a mess.

I'd say that you're probably in need of a specialized community like XDA Developers.

Edit: I'd also like to add that when a 15 year old isn't allowed a phone in this day and age I'd imagine the parent-child relationship isn't probably the most positive or trusting. The sit down and talk sounds nice but I'm betting its 90% likely she won't be receptive to it. Being raised on that tight of a leash with no trust and respect from parents breeds secrecy and rebellious behavior. There probably is a guy out there, could be 18, could be 30, who knows, but I bet she feels more like an adult around him and she doesn't get any of that from mom and dad. I'm sure they mean well but its often counter productive.

Last edited:
don't need the phone to work after this i just need the texts and facebook msgs i don't mind the work.
the phne also has a face book that is alerting to msgs via wifi here.

She is NOT cooperating and i don't want cops to potentially have pics of my stupid niece.

there is obviously a reason that she was banned from having a phone and facebook account... making bad choices

Last edited:
This might work:

Solution For Everyone Without Recovery Installed - ADB :

What You Need:
=>A computer running a Linux distro or Windows+Cygwin
=>USB cable to connect your phone to the PC
=>Adb installed

How to install adb:
1. Open Terminal
2. Type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
Hit [Enter]
3. Follow the instructions until everything is installed.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Connect you (turned on) Phone to the Computer via USB.
2. Open a terminal window.
3. Type:

Code:
adb devices
adb shell
cd data/system
su
rm *.key
4. Done...Now You Just Have To Reboot.

Note : If You See The Gesture Pattern Grid Or Password After Restarting, Don't Worry. Just Try Any Random Pattern Or Password And it Should Unlock

^ nope... the first time you connect via ADB, you have to phyiscally authorize the connection on the phone's screen

don't think you'll find (detailed) instructions on how to do this (legally gray area... that's why you should go to the police, or find a forensic investigator who will verify your phone's legal owner and make sure you aren't doing anything illegal

^ nope... the first time you connect via ADB, you have to phyiscally authorize the connection on the phone's screen

don't think you'll find (detailed) instructions on how to do this (legally gray area... that's why you should go to the police, or find a forensic investigator who will verify your phone's legal owner and make sure you aren't doing anything illegal

Actually the VS-410 is Gingerbread based. You don't have to authorize 2.x devices. That started with 4.x I believe.

ADB still most likely wouldn't work though as developer options would still need to be enabled and USB debugging enabled.

That said the thing hurting the device the most is it being Verizon which means it's locked down. Gaining root access to the VS-410 requires USB debugging to be enabled. There is a custom recovery (ClockworkMod for the VS-410) but you can't flash it without first gaining root access. If you could get CWM installed you could mount the storage in CWM and get to the data.

I hate to be the asshole here, but I don't think this thread should be allowed because it is against the rules to talk about hacking another person's phone. If your story is true, I feel for what you and your family is going though. But it could also very well be a made up story. The most common hack is through social engineering...

So maybe it's that I'm too paranoid for this type of situation. If the story is true, I hope that your family just figures out a way to get her to unlock the device. But if she doesn't, then I suggest going to the authorities, rather than asking hackers for help. BTW, first ask the authorities to keep her information off the records because she is a minor, and you don't know if there is a wrong doing yet.

If you want to mount legit evidence against this older man (and hopefully get a restraining order) you really should open up a case with the police.

Have you tried the "forget your password?" option on her Google account and seeing if you know her security questions?

This is why my kids won't have smart phones and have Cerberus or something similar on their tabs so I can always access/control them.

I'm an attorney but I don't deal with family court matters, I deal mostly with criminal matters. But what I can tell you is that before notifying the authorities I would call the local bar association and see if you can talk to an attorney that deals with juvenile matters. Anything involving a minor can become a huge ordeal if DCS gets involved which very well may happen.

thank you all, this is NOT a made up story and who the hell would want to open up a 2 year old phone?

I don't care who's phone it is, it it currently in MY possession and if another own wanted to come and talk to me about it i would be game.

The dss has previously been involved in my nieces life due to my brother opening his home to foster children it was a nightmare that i wouldn't want them to revisit.
I' ll try the adb thing and report the results... is there risk of data loss via this technique?

Back