Help Quick! Should I get the 9500 Pro?

mikey_rules

Limp Gawd
Hi there. My friend is selling his ATI Radeon 9500 Pro to another friend in a day or so, but he's giving me first dibs on it. He's never oc'd it, and there's about 3 months use on it. Should I buy this? Is it worth $80.00? Thanks!

definately worth 80 bucks..as it'll kill the 9600xt and most of the 5900 fx models..get it you'll be happy..and it'll play most games out today with decent fps

I dont think its worth it since you already have a 9600pro. I'd save that $80 towards a 6600GT or better card.

true..but the 9600pro sucks..4 pixel pipelines..it may have a higher mhz in both core/mem but the 9500pro has 8 pipes and would just smoke it..if you arent going to be upgrading for awhile i'd buy it..otherwise wait for next years cards or dx10 cards..

mikey_rules said:
Hi there. My friend is selling his ATI Radeon 9500 Pro to another friend in a day or so, but he's giving me first dibs on it. He's never oc'd it, and there's about 3 months use on it. Should I buy this? Is it worth $80.00? Thanks!

Quickly read through this review and see if its worth it or not.

It depends on how much it overclocks I'd say. If it overclocks like crazy, it may be a decent buy over a 9600 pro, assuming that the 9600 doesn't also overclcok like crazy. There isn't much performance difference between a 9500 pro and a 9600 pro at stock speeds. However, if you're using it for another system and upgrading the system in your sig isn't the issue, $80 is an awesome deal.

phaelinx said:
true..but the 9600pro sucks..4 pixel pipelines..it may have a higher mhz in both core/mem but the 9500pro has 8 pipes and would just smoke it..if you arent going to be upgrading for awhile i'd buy it..otherwise wait for next years cards or dx10 cards..

dx10 cards wont be out until longhorn.. or at least wont be used till longhorn.. (which means ~2 years)

if i were you, id save the 80 towards the 6600gt or a cheap 9800 pro, seeing as how you already have a 9600pro. its not THAT far behind, definatly not 80 dollars behind

If its ram chips are aligned in an L shaped get it.
If the RAM sticks are in a single straight line, don't get it.

If it's L shaped, you can mod it to a 9700 Pro with a pretty good chance of success.
if it's I shaped, then it'll be a little faster than a 9600 Pro and wouldn't be worth it.

OriginalReaper said:
If its ram chips are aligned in an L shaped get it.
If the RAM sticks are in a single straight line, don't get it.

If it's L shaped, you can mod it to a 9700 Pro with a pretty good chance of success.
if it's I shaped, then it'll be a little faster than a 9600 Pro and wouldn't be worth it.

htat mod was for 9500, not the 9500 pro. the 9500 pro just needs to be overclocked

is it too late to disagree?

oh poo, it is. j/k Not a bad card at all for $80, i sold a Ti4600 for $40 bucks to my friend recently, so it was about the same price-performance ratio.

UltimateMan said:
is it too late to disagree?

oh poo, it is. j/k Not a bad card at all for $80, i sold a Ti4600 for $40 bucks to my friend recently, so it was about the same price-performance ratio.

I dunno... the Ti4600 was an awesome card. I don't think the 9500Pro is twice as fast. I think you gave your friend a much better deal :)

Back