Help please, no post

xhail

Limp Gawd
I'm putting together a new mobile 2400+ barton system and I hit a problem.

I basically put everything together and started the new computer and it posted, so I fiddled around with the bios, saved and closed. I realize I need a floppy drive in the computer to install sata drivers so I shut down the computer, install the floppy drive and press the power button and there it doesn't post. The fans do start up though... what could possibly have gone wrong between installing a floppy drive and turning the computer back on?

My specs:

ASUS A7N8X-del mobo
AMD Mobile Barton 2400+
1Gig of Ram
ATI Radeon 9500

I have tried running one stick, two sticks (single channel) and two sticks dual... and it doesn't work. I have made sure the cpu, ram and vid card are properly and snugly installed...
Any help will be extremely appreciated...
thanks

hmmm, maybe ur PSU is too small, make sure you try resetting the CMOS

Double check the floppy cable. Make sure you have the arrows lined up. Try and flip the floppy cable upside down and plug it in the other way and then turn the machine back on. By any chance is it a Sony FDD?

Don't think it's the PSU... I tried a 420W and an Antec 450W. The floppy drive is plugged in correctly and it's a Teac 1.44 FDD. And yes, I did try to reset the CMOS. Any other suggestions?

Edit: One more thing, I just want to make sure I got the application of the thermal grease on the heatsink correct. The thermal grease should only be on the silvery block in the middle and not on anything else right? If it kinda squooshes out after the HS goes on... and touches the little brown bumps.. (not the L1, L2 bridges) is it bad?

From checking google and other forums, it seems like my bios is corrupt. Alot of people seem to be having the same problem. Sometimes the bios gets corrupted when it tries to save due to a weak cmos battery or something like that. Some people have had luck with replacing the battery, others had to get a new BIOS chip from ASUS or have someone reprogram it. Clearing the CMOS doesn't work either for most people. So I suppose I can just RMA this board back to newegg because I just received it yesterday.. correct?

Thanks

Edit: Can someone explain the RMA-ing process for Newegg? I went and filled out the RMA form and it says to ship out the defective part to newegg. Do I pay for shipping, or do they give me some sort of shipping slip?

Thanks

Originally posted by xhail
Edit: Can someone explain the RMA-ing process for Newegg? I went and filled out the RMA form and it says to ship out the defective part to newegg. Do I pay for shipping, or do they give me some sort of shipping slip?

Thanks

Their thing online says you have to pay for all shipping back to them but every time i call Newegg on the phone and tell them the part is defective and all that they give me an RMA number and tell me to stick the shipping slip in the package and they always reimburse me up to a certain amount. Such as a few months back i got a damaged case and they reimbursed me up to $25 and i just sent back a dial-up modem and they reimbursed me up to $10. You probably just have to ask them about it.

Originally posted by xhail
Don't think it's the PSU... I tried a 420W and an Antec 450W. The floppy drive is plugged in correctly and it's a Teac 1.44 FDD. And yes, I did try to reset the CMOS. Any other suggestions?

Edit: One more thing, I just want to make sure I got the application of the thermal grease on the heatsink correct. The thermal grease should only be on the silvery block in the middle and not on anything else right? If it kinda squooshes out after the HS goes on... and touches the little brown bumps.. (not the L1, L2 bridges) is it bad?

To clear your CMOS you need to put the move the jumpers, and press your power button. The system shouldn't start or anything. Also its a good Idea to flip the switch on the back of the power supply, press the power button, flip the switch press the power button again, wait 30 seconds (with the jumper on clear) than move the jumper back and try it again.

I know when I was fooling around with my BIOS when I started OCing I had to do that. Its an MSI board 6712.

Cheers,

:: One more thing, I just want to make sure I got the application of the thermal grease on the heatsink correct. The thermal grease should only be on the silvery block in the middle and not on anything else right? If it kinda squooshes out after the HS goes on... and touches the little brown bumps.. (not the L1, L2 bridges) is it bad?

Yeah, you should only apply the grease to the silver block (i believe it's called a die). I had applied too much grease once, it got all over the chip a bit.. and the computer kept crapping out on me. Once i removed the extra thermal compound, it started running good.

Back