Help please! HDD dead on day 1?

pollo2102

n00b
I recently ordered several components to build a PC. Stuck everything in an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero.

Booted and everything worked perfectly. BIOS detected my 1TB gen4 Sabrent SSD and my TOSHIBA 8TB HDD. I tweaked a few options around the BIOS menu and then installed Windows. After installing the basics, I decided to allocate the HDD space so that I could store things in it. Except it wasn't showing up. BIOS doesn't detect it anymore. The disk is spinning, I can feel the vibrations when the PC is on, but BIOS is not detecting it. It might be a cable issue, but I still have to get around to checking that out, though the cable is also brand new.

Any ideas anyone?

I have had a dozen DOA drives over the years. However I have ordered and installed several hundred drives.

With that said, most of the failed drives were newegg purchases when they had really bad packaging methods. One drive arrived with several of the capacitors knocked off the controller board..

Make sure that you didn't disable whatever port(s) the HDD is connected to. Make sure you are connected to a CPU based (not add-on) SATA port, and not one that is disabled when you activate the m.2 slot.

Wow. I completely forgot that's a thing. I'll check out asap if I connected it to the wrong port. Thanks for the reply!

I have had a dozen DOA drives over the years. However I have ordered and installed several hundred drives.

With that said, most of the failed drives were newegg purchases when they had really bad packaging methods. One drive arrived with several of the capacitors knocked off the controller board..

Good to know. I ordered mine through Amazon and it came in pristine condition. At least on the outside it did.

Reset your BIOS to default and see if it shows up.

Well, that did it. It appears in the BIOS menu now, though I don't know what disabled it, since the SSD was in PCIe mode and the SATA slots weren't disabled. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Well, that did it. It appears in the BIOS menu now, though I don't know what disabled it, since the SSD was in PCIe mode and the SATA slots weren't disabled. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Double check that if you enable PCIe Gen 4 support for the SSD that ports don't get disabled. I don't remember off the top of my head.

Double check that if you enable PCIe Gen 4 support for the SSD that ports don't get disabled. I don't remember off the top of my head.

some ports do get disabled, at least they do on my MSI Unify

i'd also swap the sata cable out if all the other suggestions don't work.. my 8TB WD reds for some odd reason were super picky about what sata cables i used and would randomly appear and disappear after restarts but those same cables worked fine with every other non 8TB drive i tried.

I read about that before I tried swapped them out. No SATA ports should not be disabled if the M.2_1 SSD slot is in PCIe mode.

i'd also swap the sata cable out if all the other suggestions don't work.. my 8TB WD reds for some odd reason were super picky about what sata cables i used and would randomly appear and disappear after restarts but those same cables worked fine with every other non 8TB drive i tried.

I'll try that if it fails again

I'm talking about ports being enabled/disabled with Gen3 vs. Gen4.

if you use the second m.2 slot(bottom one) it'll just outright disable them doesn't matter if the device is gen 3 or gen 4 or if you set the m.2 slot to gen 3 or gen 4. not all motherboards do that though.. each manufacture has the shared lane allocations setup differently with each chipset.. e.g. with x570 asrock disables one of the pcie slots instead of sata ports.. some disable sata ports 5/6 some disable ports 2/3, some have one of the pcie x8 slots to drop down to x4. you have to check their manuals/spec sheets to find out exactly which each board does.

Back