Help please. FreeBSD + Mail Server

acabrera

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I have a FreeBSD apache-based web server that I am using to host 3 different websites. I'd like to be able to offer email (pop3 and smtp) services on the same box, but I'm having difficulty finding a HOWTO that will let me install a solution that will both work for people not directly connected to the same network as the server and that will allow for multiple domains.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

sendmail should be installed by default. You might want to check out SquirrelMail for your Webmail. They have a clean and not cluttered interface, totally written in PHP, that is easy to configure . For POP3, Qpopper is the most widely used POP3 server.

Google for "FreeBSD sendmail imap". My page will be #1. :) It may help you out a bit.

I run squirrelmail on my domain...Works quite nicely.

What particular problems are you having?

IMAP... good point...

IMAP's much better than POP3 from the end-user viewpoint; even if the protocol sucks & many implementations suck mad crazy ass.

I'm not a big fan of forcing spamassassin down everyone's throat. I install spamassassin, let the users know it's there and show them a few different ways to use it, but if they don't want to bother with it or want to do something different they are free to. That's why I install Procmail as the LDA...Makes the mail system as a whole a bit more flexible from the user's point of view.

If I run spamassassin server-wide and someone doesn't get an important mail, it's my fault. However, if a user chooses to run spamassassin and they don't get an important mail, it's their fault.

Back