HELP! PC doesn't boot!

novadude

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, I've had this computer running perfectly for almost a month now. It was running ~52 C when under load, so I ordered two 120mm case fans, and they arrived today. I shut down my computer, and disconnected the cables from the back of the case. I slid my case forward on my desk about six inches in order to get the clearance needed to open the side door. Once open, I pulled the old case fan out ans screwed in the new fan. I then removed the front bezel, and bolted in the front fan, then I replaced the bezel. I hooked the new fans up to the power cables, and then replaced the side door of the case. I reconnected the cables to the back of the computer, and pressed the power button. The fans spooled up for half a second, and then shut off. All fans turn, then stop before turning all the way around. There are no beeps, nothing but the normal red light on the mobo and the green power led flicks on and then off.
I was grounded to the case the entire time.

what I have tried so far:
reset the cmos (several different times, by each method in the manual)
reseated the ram
reseated the video card
checked all connections between fans

comp specs:
abit nf7-s
athlon 2500
512mb ocx ram
radeon 9800 pro
160gb hd
antec 350 watt psu

Use the process of elimination.

Unplug the new fans. Does it boot?
Unplug the Drives. Does it boot?
What are the specs of your PC?
How many fans/drives/lights/home appliances are being powered by the power supply?

I've pulled the entire computer apart. There are no loose screws, and no metal parts that I could see were bent out of shape. I put it back together, and still no go.

Unlpug the fans. Does it boot?
nope

Unlpug the drives. Does it boot?
no

What are the specs of your PC?
at the bottom of first post, OS is XP home

How many fans/drives/lights/home appliances are being powered by the power supply?
2 120mm enermax adjustable fans
1 lite-on cd burner/dvd combo drive
1 floppy
1 160gb hd
1 9800 pro
1 2500 XP
1 nf7-s

I've had the same exact problem with a computer at work (occurred when adding a case fan)... the hardware is different but the same problem occurs in the exact manner you describe. I have swapped out different parts and tried to eliminate the problem by process of elimination to no avail. The only way I have been able to keep the computer from shutting off has been to boot without the processor (all processors swapped in have been 2400+ to 2800+ xp's), which is obviously no better a situation.

specs:
gigabyte ga-7vaxp
1 sony dvd-+r/cdr/cdrw
1 floppy
2 80gb hds
1 9800 pro
1 xp processor
win2k
1024mb ram
350 watt power supply

in my case I've tried changing these components without succcess

power supply
ram
processor
case fans
cpu fan
hard drives
floppy drive
cd/dvd drive
video card
sound card

and starting the computer with every combination of each...
I spent so much time that I just decided to forget about it, but if anyone has any ideas they're very much appreciated.

I'll try to see if I can find a psu to try.

Is there any reason that in the less than ten minutes it took me to remove the old fan and insert the new fan, the psu/other part stopped functioning?

qwuibert said:
in my case I've tried changing....

Then try a motherboard.

To novadude:
Try to power on the PSU with it unplugged from the motherboard.
How is this done?
Simple.
Unplug the PSU connector from the motherboard
Use a paperclip or other suitable device and JUMPER the green wire to a black wire.

There is only one green wire in the bunch. All the black ones are grounds.
See if the PSU powers and stays on.

GL

Thanks tmarshall. The PS fan powers up, but dies just like before, when I jump the two wires. I guess that means I need to replace the PS? Do you think I can RMA it with newegg?

I do not know what NewEgg's RMA policy is. Go to their website and see.
I would see no reason why you couldn't.

It's not like you were trying to jump-start your car with it! :p

I picked up a new PS at the local store, and plugged it in. It works.
I guess I'll give newegg a call sometime.

Thanks for your help.

Back