Help on DVD Burners?

sdk

[H]ard|Gawd
I really don't understand all the - and the +. I have a apex and a regular sony dvd player. (apex can play svcds and basicly anything, jpeg2-4 ect ect) I want to go to a movie store and rent a dvd and burn it and make a back up. IS that legal? Someone told me that copyright protection was broken. Well, still can I do it? I also wanna make copies of my dvds on to my hard drives as well as "other" dvds. So just lmk what I need to get thanks.

Renting DVDs and burning copies of them is illegal, so can't be discussed here. Second, there are a billion sites explaining the + and - formats. You need to look up your set top DVD players and find which format they can read.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Originally posted by sdk
.............I want to go to a movie store and rent a dvd and burn it and make a back up. IS that legal? .....................

You want to make a "backup" of the movie you rent, for the video rental store, to help them out?

Or you want to make a "backup" of the movie you rent, just incase something happens to the DVD while you're watching it, and when the movie is over you're going to destory/overwrite the "backup" copy when you return the rental?

I'm pretty sure what you're asking for isn't either of the above, so this thread isn't going to last long.

To put it bluntly, I wanna rent DVDS from a store, and burn them so I have a copy, if I can't talk about this here just close this thread.

Tho, I was told it was brokne,

NO, OF COURSE YOU CAN TALK ABOUT IT HERE. MAKING ILLEGAL COPIES OF MOTION PICTURES IS COMPLETELY LEGAL

It is even illegal to buy a DVD and copy it for your personal backup at the laws stand at the moment, they are under challenge in California and the outcome will decide the legallity of personal backups. We do not allow the discussion of ways of breaking the law on the forum which has been pointed out.

BBnet3000: Yelling and screaming is also illegal by the forum rules

"No shouting. It’s just plain rude and annoying. "

Here in Canada, it is not illegal to make a backup of a DVD that you own, In Canada, when you buys something.....its yours. No ifs ands or buts.......:D

Yeaha I guess I shoulda said that, I am Canadian, Toronto...

Back