Help on building a computer !

Omionous11

Weaksauce
Hey there, I'm a huge gamer but not very good at knowing the best hardware and stuff when it comes to computers.

My computer is really starting to become out of date so I was looking for advice on building a new computer. I have a budget of $1400 !

I want to start getting into high end gaming where I would be able to run those ultra setting on games and keep my frame rates up !

Edit:
1) Gaming
2)1400 with tax no shipping
3)Canada Ontario
4) My computer is out of date so I won't be able to reuse anything from it. So I will need all parts to build a computer.
5)I would like to overcloak if I could but not needed if it breaks the budget
6)1920x1080p 24 inch
7)asap
8)To be honest I do not know what feature I would need in a MoBo. Open to suggestions for a gaming pc !
9) 64 bit windows 7

Last edited:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI B85M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($155.44 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($175.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.04 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($91.05 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.50 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1032.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 20:08 EDT-0400)

SpeedyVV 's list is a good starting point. However, I would make the following CPU and case changes:
$217 CAD - Intel Core i5-4570 CPU
$56 CAD - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case

In addition, drop the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ HSF. ONce you do that, the system will be about $22 more. IMO, that $22 more is worth the two extra cores and the greater longevity for gaming that the system will have. The Core i3 is no slouch for gaming but I would aim for a Core i5 if possible due to some of the latest games there being rather heavily multi-threaded i.e BF4.

Thanks for the quick reply's guys !! Looks like a great system set up Speedy !! I'll def be taking this into consideration.

Dangman, You said drop the HSF ( meaning take it off ? ) but my sytem will cost 22$ more ?? and what cores ? Sorry I'm really just starting to learn computers even though I've been gaming for years ( mostly consoles but really starting to get into the heavy gaming on pcs due to my buddie $3000 computer... lol )

I'd go with the i5 rig for gaming. That 780 will smoke the 760 in the other rig. Everything looks good.

Neither setups are really good for the money. The case in both setups doesn't appear to be a good case for the money in comparison to the Corsair 230T or the Corsair 200R due to its lack of a 2.5" SSD bay and rather cramped interior. Not to mention that it requires a bit more installation time due to the lack of true tooless HDD and optical bay installation.

Now before I go on: Please answer the following questions:
1) Are you absolutely planning on overclocking? Yes or no answer please as that's going to determine how much money you need to spend.
2) Are you planning on playing BF4?
3) Any plans to switch to Windows 8.1?
4) Just what games are you planning to play?

Dangman, You said drop the HSF ( meaning take it off ? ) but my sytem will cost 22$ more ?? and what cores ? Sorry I'm really just starting to learn computers even though I've been gaming for years ( mostly consoles but really starting to get into the heavy gaming on pcs due to my buddie $3000 computer... lol )

Yes, remove the Coolermaster HSF from the original build list. The Core i5 has two more CPU cores than the Core i3. For more higher-end games like BF4, you're going to want fast and more cores.

Neither setups are really good for the money. The case in both setups doesn't appear to be a good case for the money in comparison to the Corsair 230T or the Corsair 200R due to its lack of a 2.5" SSD bay and rather cramped interior. Not to mention that it requires a bit more installation time due to the lack of true tooless HDD and optical bay installation.

Now before I go on: Please answer the following questions:
1) Are you absolutely planning on overclocking? Yes or no answer please as that's going to determine how much money you need to spend.
2) Are you planning on playing BF4?
3) Any plans to switch to Windows 8.1?
4) Just what games are you planning to play?

Yes, remove the Coolermaster HSF from the original build list. The Core i5 has two more CPU cores than the Core i3. For more higher-end games like BF4, you're going to want fast and more cores.

So in the i5 setup did you not like the whole thing or just the case in it ?? I can easily change the case in the setup. I have the cash I just want to make the best build that I can and have no regrets :)

1) To be honest I've always been a console gamer so this would be my real first gaming rig so I've never overcloaked before. I prob wouldn't overcloak at first but I know down the road once I get into serious gaming I will def get into it.

2) BF4 Crysis 3 GTA 5 Skyrim. I play and want to play all these games. I would love to play them on Ultra setting as well. As well any any new games coming out like Watch dogs and ect.

3) When I researched everyone said windows 7 pro 64 bit was the way to go for gaming and not 8.1. Can you shed some light on why 8.1 is better ?

If I drop the cool master HSF wil I have cooling issues ?

The stock HSF will be very loud when gaming and would certainly need to be replaced if overclocking. The 4670K with the Noctua is more sensible than the 4770K with Hyper 212 for gaming. It will overclock very well when the time comes.

How much is your actual budget? I think the 3GB 780 is a bit overkill for 1080p. You should be able to hit ultra settings on a 280X for about $350.

The stock HSF will be very loud when gaming and would certainly need to be replaced if overclocking. The 4670K with the Noctua is more sensible than the 4770K with Hyper 212 for gaming. It will overclock very well when the time comes.

How much is your actual budget? I think the 3GB 780 is a bit overkill for 1080p. You should be able to hit ultra settings on a 280X for about $350.

I've been able too up it too $1400 with tax. the 1080p is for now and maybe 6months to a year down the road I would upgrade to a better monitor to support better resolutions.

So in the i5 setup did you not like the whole thing or just the case in it ?? I can easily change the case in the setup. I have the cash I just want to make the best build that I can and have no regrets :)
Well it was the overpriced motherboard, crap case, and the RAM that made that list a no-go from me. Not to mention that you didn't exactly confirm whether or not you're going to overclock.

3) When I researched everyone said windows 7 pro 64 bit was the way to go for gaming and not 8.1. Can you shed some light on why 8.1 is better ??
Because there's the decent possibility that future games will run faster on Windows 8.1 as shown in this HardOCP article:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/24/battlefield_4_windows_7_vs_81_performance_review/

In addition, for those who are using Windows 7, playing BF4, and have a Core i7 CPU, you will need to download an additional program (or do a few registry edits) to make BF4 run smoother. That I can personally attest to as BF4 ran quite choppy for me with my Core i7 4770K until I downloaded "Park Control Utility". With Windows 8.1, you don't have to download any program to make BF4 run smoother.
If I drop the cool master HSF wil I have cooling issues ?
If you live in a warm/hot area and/or choose a shitty case, then yes you will have cooling issues.

Dangman, for 1400 bucks could you suggest a computer setup with overclocking !

I'll run windows 7 for now and down the road I'll grab 8.1 for sure !!

edit: I tinkered around a little but couldn't figure out a better mobo.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ominous11/saved/4j6D

What do you think of this ? I'm still open to suggestions :)

Last edited:
If you were here in the U.S, that AsRock Z87 Killer would have been a good choice since it's a relatively cheap here. However, it's overpriced in Canada. So go with the Asus Z87-A for $149 CAD:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z87a

I don't factor in MIR. So that AsRock Z87 Killer still costs $185. That's way too much for a mid-range overclocking motherboard.

if you're planning on playing BF4, then go for the Core i7 4770K now.

As for the video card, honestly, you really have to upgrade your monitor to one with a resolution of 2560x1200 or more within the next 2-5 months in order for that video card to be worthwhile. I say that because that's the rumored time frame for Nvidia's main Maxwell GPU launch. So in other words, if it's going to take you longer than 2 to 5 months to upgrade your monitor, you would basically be wasting money on performance that you cannot take full advantage of and is now outdated by the lauch of Nvidia's Maxwell GPUs. Doing a monitor upgrade as soon as possible gives you a good justification for getting that GTX 780 3GB.

So if you cannot upgrade your monitor within the next 2-5 months, just drop down to the GTX 770 2GB.

Thanks Dangman ! I took everything you said into consideration and just placed my order !! I appreciate the help !

Back