Help on Build 4 a New Server

anyone know any good deals/places to aquire Windows Home Server (WHS)

Last edited:
ya, just gonna hit up frys on my way home and see if i cant find a good lookin case for this whole thing ill see if they have a copy

Wireless might be a challenge for video streaming. The XBOXes are 802.11b, aren't they? Which means your PS3 will run at 'b' too.

You could always try homeplugs if you can't wire everything up. Not cheap but sufficient for some people.

Re the OS, go with Linux. You know you want to really :p
That said, the XBOXs can run as MS extenders, can't they? (Never owned one but sure I read something somewhere). Do they work as extenders with WHS?

EDIT: Just started reading that WHS link mentioned above so ignore my noobness on the XBOX question

ya, just gonna hit up frys on my way home and see if i cant find a good lookin case for this whole thing ill see if they have a copy

Case wise, I recommend taking a look at the Coolermaster RC-590 case. It can fit up to 12 hard drives using two extra 4in3 bays:
$10 - Coolermaster 621013210-GP 4in3 Device Module
$10 - Coolermaster 621013210-GP 4in3 Device Module
$22 - Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP 4 in 3 Device Module w/ 120mm Fan

And yes the 360 does work with WHS just fine.

just got back from frys with:

Antec 300 $30
MS WHS $100

My current i7 is housed in an Antec 12hundred and it works for me so I went with the smaller Antec 300, not my first choice, and that CM mentioned above looks badass, but I got a sweet deal @ $30 on the case. After reading the thread on WHS I decided that familiarity is always the better choice for me, especially when embarking on something I've never done before.

Wiring:
I have the option of wiring up the whole house however it will require a bit of wire and I am renting. I may be able to talk to the landlord and ask for a month free if I run the house with CAT5/6 wire and make it look good. But thats a task I'll embark on once I get my server up and running. I may land a homerun from my wireless router to a the server in my room and then branch out from there. all small potatoes after i get this thing up and running the way i want to.

heres some photos;

Not new, I got it on sale whatever that open box frys return sale is. I checked it out and it looked brand new... the only thing I found wrong was it got dinged in transportation so the botoom right corner side panel was bent and had to be bent back, other than that it's brand spankin new. I took a picture of the bent corner but it came out looking fine so I'm gonna leave it out, plus I already bent it back :)

From The Front:
100_0838.jpg

A Look Inside:
100_0837.jpg

Current Workspace Shot:
(I just moved in so it's all clutter free)
100_0839.jpg

just got those speakers thanks to HardForums [H]otDeals page and their baddass as hell I absolutley reccomend them. I needed more bass so I connected to my fender 150W bass amp for extra rumble.

Just checked tracking number and it says delivery today so well see after work i guess

Last edited:
got it built yesterday and installed WHS with no problems whatsoever shes pretty damn quiet. Now all I need to do is get Remote Connection working and then truly make it headless and closet ridden. I got a crap load of pics and they are all good quality so enjoy the digital PC p0rn
In/Out of The Box:
100_0843.jpg

100_0845.jpg

Mounted Power Supply:
100_0846.jpg

Mounted Faceplate:
100_0857.jpg

Mounted DVDRom:/B]
100_0858.jpg

I had left over fan silencer plugs from my Noctua SF12B fans, and Antec 3 (x2) fans from my recent i7 Build. So I used those instead of screws for the fan chasis in the back of the Antec 300 case (I have pics of them installed just not with me atm):
100_0848.jpg

Installing the Memory:
100_0849.jpg

100_0850.jpg

Installing the CPU:
100_0852.jpg

100_0853.jpg

100_0855.jpg

Mounting the MOBO:
100_0859.jpg

thats all I have at the moment. Unfortunatley the pics of the fans installed in the front chasis, and organizing the cords, are the ones I don't have. I thought I got all the photos off of my camera, guess not :(. I'll get em on here later tonight...enjoy!

Let me know if you wana see my other build here are the specs;
Case: Antec1200 with Noctua SF12B Fans
(A total of 8 Fans all working to create positive preassure within the case)
MOBO: Rampage II Gene
CPU: i7 920 with Black Knight aftermarket CPU Fan
MEM: Corsair 1600 3x2GB
PSU: 750W Corsair
GFX: BFG GeForce GTX 285 1GB
HDD: 1x1.5TB(moving into server today) 1x500GB(storage) 1x60GB(OS)
CDROM: Panasonic DVDR or soemthing
(took out the Happauge TV tuner for my server and)

Last edited:
Excellent stuff ;)

I'm using the same PSU as you. I'm very pleased with mine. :cool:

Good to hear that despite having 8 fans it's still quiet. I'm using the Antec 900. Couldn't quite squeeze 8 fans into mine tho :rolleyes:

So have you checked the power consumption yet? Just being nosey :D

Haven't had much time to use the Server yet but I'm pretty sure that the PSU is badass since i have the bigger version in my other build and it works fantastically. All I've done is turn it on check the bios and then install the OS. I didn't land a wire for internet thats on the menu for this afternoon and then we get to see what she can really do! Headlessly of course.

no the 8 fans were in my other build the Antec1200 that houses my i7 (I'll post those pics too I guess, even though they dont really coincide with the building a server post, except to please the pic addicts). Oh and no that one is not quiet it's alot better once i replaced the stock fans but you can definatley hear it I'd say like 16db at least depending on how high i have the GFX cards fan. The Antec 300 housing my server only fits like 5 or 6 fans and thats pushing it. I don't need that many though, the four I have not including the stock processor fan will do just fine for the server even in the closet (I plan to monitor the temps for a while though, just in case).

power consumption is next on the list I have to go pick up my meter from my paretns place i'll let you know though

and yeah for those of you who like computer guts, I have a few more pictures from building the server basically showing the way I layed out the wires within the case and the finished product.

Last edited:
no the 8 fans were in my other build the Antec1200 that houses my i7

Doh! Yup, Having just re-read your post I can see that now. Missed the "see my other build here are the specs" bit. :rolleyes:

I think all those gorgeous pics blurred my vision somewhat!! :D

EDIT: Sorry forgot to ask. Did you replace the "big boy" on your 1200? The 20cm one? If so what fan did you use?
How much difference do you think swapping out the stock fans for the Noctuas made to the overall noise? Half as noisy or only marginal?

Last edited:
No, I kept the "big boy" lol. Yes, the noctua fans definatley reduce noise but I can feel an increase in heat by roughly 4°F - 5°F in the air coming out the rear vents. I just noticed the heat increase yesterday while I had it rendering as I was messing with the server and the fans were blowing on my leg, not too happy about it but what can ya do. I'm getting heavily into researching liquid cooling but don't plan on doing it for a while.

Oh man the Antec1200 stock with every fan turned on high (all fans including the two they dont include on the side and inside the case) Is LOUD. I can hear it with headphones on. Once i replaced all the fans it pretty much cut the noise by like 75% so it's pretty worth it. I wish I had a video of it running without the upgraded fans that was gnarly. I'll try and get some video of it running with noctua fans and post it for you.

So I tried to run a hard line through my attic last night with no luck cause my roomates retarded, so I'm gonna do it this weekend with someone more competant lol. I'll let you know how the server set up goes. I did plug it into the internet and register it though as well as downloaded updates. I got drunk though so I stopped working on it for fear of messing something up. :)

Ill get some pics of all this posted by the end of the weekend if all goes well. I goto work on saturday though BOOO

Big Boy is actually the "official" name for that fan! :D

I've actually got 3 Noctua 12cm fans lying around doing nothing so I'll swap them out with the stock fans on my 900 given your findings. I can live with a bit of extra heat it's the noise that I'm keen to eliminate. I'm guessing all your fans now run at maximum speed given they don't have the inline speed controls built in?

ya I originally had them as slow as they could go and all you could hear was big boy and my dark knight CPU fan kinda warm though.

This looks like a nice solid setup. Would you recommend the same (or similar) for MS Server 2000 (or 2003), with 5 simultaneous remote desktop connections working with SQL and/or Microsoft Access?

This looks like a nice solid setup. Would you recommend the same (or similar) for MS Server 2000 (or 2003), with 5 simultaneous remote desktop connections working with SQL and/or Microsoft Access?

For a business? Mission critical server? If so, please start your own thread. ;) (and link this one, since you're thinking about using the same system specs)

Back