Help needed - G5 disassembly (large img)

jw2k_fr

Limp Gawd
Wasn't sure which forum was the best location for this, but I figured that hardware hackers and modders would be most likely to know.

I have a late 2005 Powermac G5 which refuses to power up. I have got the thing mostly dismantled, but am failing at final hurdle. I am trying to get the PSU out as I gather it is like to be a failed capacitor or similar, but I cant get the PSU out without removing the mobo. I cant get the mobo out because the front panel audio/USB/power board is in the way:

g5.jpg

The PSU wont come out on its own as there are a bunch of little feet below the edge of the mobo (for which I have removed the screws) and whilst the PSU will slide a short way towards the front of the case, something is impeding it and I think I need to get the mobo out to make this easy. Which it would do if I could just remove the freakin' front panel board :p The mobo itself is unscrewed and also slides a small way toward the front of the case.

Anyone done this before and know the answer? Thx

Last edited:
That's the gist of the problem. I can't see any visible means of attachment. The rear fan grille had small grub screws which took me a moment to spot, but this just seems to be glued on,or something. Can't believe it is though. It's not listed as an Apple DIY replacement part, so there must be a trick to removing it.

I have removed the two screws which attach it to the mobo, and when I try sliding the mobo towards the case front, I hear a slight grating noise pretty quickly, so I haven't pushed too hard.

Turns out I just had to had the courage of my convictions and ignore the scraping noises. Just had to slide the motherboard far enough forward for the ports to clear the back plate and then lift up at the back and slowly slide out. The PSU cables, even though only short ones, still made this process difficult as I just didnt have enough hands. That audio/USB board does indeed appear to be affixed to the front panel... not that I'm worried any more :D

Unlike earlier G5s, this one seems to require the mobo to be removed in order for the PSU to come out. I shall now open the PSU and see if there are any signs of the smoke having escaped...

I'm in the process of modding a G5 Case. I also had a difficult time getting the motherboard out.
The front I/O is screwed on the front panel. Just pop the cover off and you'll see the 2 small screws. That was the only piece that grieved me. It looks like your board is quite a bit different, but the principal should be the same.

Turns out I just had to had the courage of my convictions and ignore the scraping noises.

Oops, maybe not. Once I got the board out, I saw some of the pins on a contact pad on the logic board had bent backwards during removal:

g5_board.jpg

Once the logic board was out, the case looks like this, but I still cant see an easy way to get the front panel out.

g5-Empty-case.jpg

The PSU was impeded from sliding forward by these feet which may be different from earlier G5s:

g5_PSU.jpg

I took the PSU apart and cleaned out the dust. Smoke appears to still be inside the wires and there are no bulging or burst caps that I could see - liberal use of a glue gun to stop caps vibrating or coming loose makes it difficult to be sure, but I could hear the thing gently ticking when I plugged it in, so I may have to revise my diagnosis and point the finger at the logic board:
(pic to follow)

Last edited:
Back