Help need wiring advice!

I have 2 vg800 lcd displays with identical problems the built in power supply that changes the 120 volt to 2 12 volt dc supplies has died in both panels. i contacted viewsonic to obtain replacments both But I never got anywhere with them never got through to parts Got put on hold then hung up on. Anyway couldn't I power this externally with a atx psu using only the 12 volt and ground wires?

Looking for suggestions Help advice.

If you know the current requirements of the LCD, you could use any decent 12V power supply that provides at least that current. Is there anywhere on the monitor that specifies the amperage or wattage output of the 12V supplies?

If the current provided is adequate, you could use an ATX PSU and make a simple adapter to connect the molex with 12V to the monitor. If you don't have a PSU on hand, I'd recommend looking for a (possibly cheaper) 12V only PSU - there are some made for mini-, nano- and pico-ITX MBs for example.

It's usually written on the power supply somewhere, even if it's internal.

Not on this one. It shows the output voltage 2 12 volt positive lines and 2 ground wires.
I have talked to viewsonic but have not reached the right people yet.

what does the power supply say for the voltage/current?

there should be a sticker or some kind of markings on the bottom

You should be aware that most computer power supplies only output 10V on the 12V line until the 5V line is loaded to 1 amp or so. You just need to put a 5+W 5ohm resistor from 5V to ground to achieve the 1 amp.

The power supply doesn't state the output current amperage it only shows 2 12 volt positives and 2 grounds.

I appreciate the advice about the resistor I wasn't aware of the voltage drop without a load on the 5 volt side, Thanks! this is why I asked to get the missing pieces of the puzzle. I am wanting to call viewsonic again and try to get a replacement psu but I want other options if I can't get the psu from them.

I looked on the radio shack website they have a 10 ohm 5 watt resistor but not a 5 ohm 5 watt resistor would that work? I know they sometimes have others available once I get there but I wasn't sure I could use a substitute.
Radio shack is the only nearby option for me have to drive 30 miles to a better supplier for me.

If you put two 10-ohm resistors in parallel, that'll give you the 5Ohms that you need.

I hooked up a atx with 2 hard drives to balance the 5 volt lines and after checking the 12 volt wires had 12 volts should have been able to power up to 15 amps still didn't work the lcd power light came on then blinked green yellow over and over then shut down.:mad:I guess it isn't supplying enough power to the lcd.

Back