Help me with my Video Editing Rig - NO Gaming

vidoprof

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Photoshop / 4k Video Editing, After Effects, Premiere, Web, Office, basic computing as well.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$3,500, yes.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Tampa, FL

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Ram 64gb?, Case (It should be PRETTY quiet as it will be in the same room as my studio for sound), HDs (1 ssd for OS, 1 ssd for scratch disk, Should I get another for rendering TO & FROM?, 1 4tb WD Black for hosting the newest data, 1 - 6-8tb for data storage backup or MOST of my projects (I WILL have a Synology 8 bay populated with drives for additional backup of everything) PROBABLY want (1) 30" calibrated monitor for editing purposes

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
(2) monitors for basic computing

6) Will you be overclocking?
IF it really would make a big difference I would consider it, but like the ideal of long term stability.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Looking for a 30" Color Calibrated Monitor for editing on (I will have 2 other 27" monitors as well (already have these two)

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
within 2 weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Not a clue - USB 3 for sure, Fastest Sata for HDs, As much RAM as possible, NO SLI, I don't need RAID

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No OS currently.. is Win7 64bit a better way to go over WIN 10 (I heard issues with Adobe products on Win 10...

Thanks everyone. IF spending an extra $500 makes sense I would. It's going to be a workhorse for strictly video and photo editing. ZERO gaming.

FOR the Synology - Would (8) WD Black 4tb drives or would RED be better as it's just data storage?

Thanks
Ryan G

I'm trying to figure out if you would be better off with a Xeon chip or a 5960... I'd bet my money on a Xeon

I am leaning against the XEON only because the only way that I think I can get them cheap is on ebay with a server pull. I would rather the peace of mind of the 5930 or 5960....

Do I go with the x99 or a different motherboard?

Thanks
Ryan G

P.s. I would prefer to buy from BH as I am putting in a rather large order and can probably get a decent discount on buying more stuff. IF it makes sense. They also price match Amazon..

Ryan G

Any thoughts on What Ram, to get for that $249 board you mentioned?

Thoughts on Video card? Do you think the 950 would be enough? I am guessing the EVO 212 would be fine as a cooler if I wanted a mild overclock or is there something significantly better?

Power Supply?

Any additional help guys?

Thanks
Ryan G

If you're running a 4K display along with 2 others, I'm going to suggest a GTX 960 with 4GB VRAM minimum. I suggest Gigabyte Windforce of Asus Strix.

For RAM, naked or low profile heatspreaders, these are priced reasonably:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231793
Get 2 kits if budget allows, or hold off on the second kit until you know you need more RAM.

For NAS hdds', I would go with Seagate NAS (VN in the middle of the model number), Seagate Constellation ES.3 (pricy but my top choice), or WD Reds. You want drives that support RAID instructions built into them. The WD Blacks are high performance but they are not specifically designed for arrays.

Back