Help me with installing windows? (HD/Mobo issue?)

Koho

Gawd
Trying to re-install windows again after a format, and i am running into a problem.

I set the boot order to CD as #1, insert CD, boot up, and get through the first "where do you want windows isntalled" phase of the installation. After it is done copying files, it wants to do its first reboot. This is where the problem is.

Instead of moving on to the next phase of the install, it just boots from the CD again and goes back to the first phase of teh install. I thought maybe i had to set the boot order to HDD being #1, but it just skipped it (not finding anything bootable?) and resumed booting from CD.

I originally thought this was a mobo issue, so i bought a new one, but it still happens. Perhpas an HD issue?

Specs:
P4 1.6 (old 400mhz bus)
Asus p4s533 (old motherboard
Asus p4p8x (new motherboard bought because I thought the was the problem)
256mb pc2100
Ati 9000 oem
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 40Gb HD
Win XP (trying to install)

Any insight?

Did you remove the CD out of the drive after Windows XP installed the setup drives?

If you have the CD drive as the first bootup priority in your BIOS, then it will reread the CD if it is still in there. If the CD is removed and the problem is still happening, go into the BIOS and change the boot priority to hard drive first, CD-ROM second. Make sure the installation CD is out of the drive, then save your changes and reboot.

If THAT didn't work, then it's definitely a hard drive issue. If you have access to a Windows 98/2000 boot disk, use FDISK to delete any and/or all partitions on the hard drive. And if that didn't work, well...

(I don't know if I can help you after that point. :confused: )

I tried changing the first boot device to HDD after the first restart, but it simply skipped the HDD, and continued booting from the CD.

I am going to try pulling the CD this time around, we'll see how that goes.

As for formatting everything, i have used the WinXP setup format utility many times on the drive, is there anything on a 2000 bootdisk that formats it better?

Also, someone suggested i may have a damaged boot sector, any ideas about that?

Only reason I mentioned 2000 was because of the boot disk. I forgot whether 2000 has it (I know 98 does and I have that), but the boot disk has FDISK which is a DOS partitioning tool. If you don't have any damaged sectors, you can remove the partition using FDISK so you can start over. The only thing is, though, that when using FDISK (from the 98 boot disk), any partitions created through that will come out as FAT32 (XP will convert them to NTFS though).

Mine did the same thing after it copied the intial files when reformatting....after it did the process 3 times, i took out the cd after i restarted so it wouldnt boot to it, then put it back in ....

Originally posted by daroy99
Mine did the same thing after it copied the intial files when reformatting....after it did the process 3 times, i took out the cd after i restarted so it wouldnt boot to it, then put it back in ....

And i assume this worked? :)
I am doing that right now, that would be nice if it worked...

Ok, after the first reboot i set the HDD to first boot, and removed the CD.
It just skipped the HD and went on to the CD, where it told me to:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

bah. on to checking the HD for errors

Back