Help me track down repeating Crash?

mellojoe

Gawd
Guys, I need your help. My baby is crashing. And I can't figure out why.

I don't know if it is related to the Windows TDR, timeout detection recovery, crash that seems to happen from time to time. I'm sort of stuck.

Lately, whenever I play any game, I get a frozen 10 seconds, a blank screen, then everything comes back on. Now, the frozen for 10 seconds is becoming just Frozen, and it doesn't blue-screen.

It is NOT an overheat issue. I have been monitoring temps like a hawk, and I'm not seeing any major fluxuations. This is basically a brand new system, and I'm not playing any intensive games. My most recent attempt was upgrading to the newest Catalyst drivers for my AMD card, but that has actually made things WORSE, not better. I reverted to the older ones I was on previously, and that continued to make the problem even worse.

I don't know enough to know how to find out WHAT is causing the problem. I don't know if its graphics card, PSU, or software glitch.

What tools should i be using to track this? Any advise you guys can give? Thanks.

Specs in the sig, but:
Intel i-5 4670k - stock, no overclocking
MSI Z87-GD65
8-GB RAM
AMD HD7770

Ok. I looked in the "Event Logs" and upon startup I get two errors:
  • The Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service service terminated with the following error:
    %%-2147467259
  • Faulting application name: igfxCUIService.exe, version: 6.15.10.3960, time stamp: 0x54299ab0
Which looks to me like it has something to do with the on-board graphics causing some issue.

I'm using a standalone graphics card (ATI Radeon HD7770), so why would the onboard be having issues? What could I look at to resolve this?

Last edited:
I would disable the onboard graphics in the bios. This way the integrated GPU will not be used at all, thus no IGP driver will load.

I've disabled the onboard GPU. I've updated to new drivers. I've reverted to old drivers.

The only error that appears in the Event Log anymore is simply:
"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I never had this problem on my old machine on WindowXP.
Installed Windows 7. Started randomly getting this TDR error.
Updated drivers, software, etc. Still got error.
Replaced graphics card. Still got error.
Replaced ALL hardware. Still got error.

I'm trying multiple drivers. Multiple registry edits.

I'm at a loss. Why am I getting this issue? It basically gets a blank screen, then I get the dreaded "Windows has recovered from a display error" message.

It is not a temperature issue, as my GPU, Motherboard, and CPU are all well within comfortable ranges.

What is happening? Can anyone offer advice?

Just something to try, but I had a somewhat similar issue a few years ago and it turned out to be bad ram. If I was just browsing the web or doing regular stuff everything was fine, as soon as I'd start to game though, I started having issues with crashes, not necessarily blue screens. Took forever to narrow down as I originally thought it was a video card issue due to the error I would see.

Have you tested your memory? Test the memory sticks individually. In my case it seemed to test fine when I did them both at once, but once I went to just one at a time, I got all sorts of errors from memtest.

I have since downloaded a GPU overclocking utility and DOWN-clocked my GPU. The temperatures were never an issue. It previously idled at 36*C and would max at about 58*C after extended use.

It seems the XFX HD7770 I bought was the "Black Edition" which came overclocked from the factory, so I down-clocked it to stock settings. *KNOCK ON WOOD* I haven't had a repeat of the crash yet. Temperatures are identical, so it wasn't a temp issue.

I also adjusted the fan speed profile to be a bit more aggressive with turning on the fan. Previously, the fan never went above 50% speed, so I increased it and it now hums up to about 75% speed. Again, very minor change to max temps. I haven't gone over 56*C with this new fan profile.

But, the card specs say it should run just fine all the way up to 90*C, so I don't believe temps are the issue. Maybe it is a voltage situation? I don't know. I'm gonna keep playing with it.

Back