Help me spec a Video CRUSHING machine

Nakamori

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily Encoding, Rendering, and Compressing Video files. Little bit of Gaming on the Side
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
CA, Bay Area
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

AMD CPU (already have motherboard)
Video Card (with S-Video In to capture video camera input, as well as gaming value)
Power Supply
Mechanical Hard Drives (Already have SSD), around two working Terabytes of storage.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ ATX AMD Mobo
8gb DDR3 A-DATA 1600
250gb Samsung 840 series
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Antec P280
DVD Burner

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, if it adds value
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

28" 1080P

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within 30 Days

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
USB3.0, Capability of both capturing S-Video Input and outputting S-Video output. I should explain myself more here: I will be capturing analog video, use the computer to encode it for digital storage, but also be able to send all of these files as S-Video output to a Dazzle capture device so some of the special software on my work laptops can capture the video themselves. The software cannot use digital files to capture, unfortunately.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 8 64 Bit. thanks guys!

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor SKU: 425405 $229.99 (Crushing Video encoding)
MSI B75MA-E33 LGA 1155 B75 mATX Intel Motherboard SKU: 208744 $54.99 (You need that for CPU)
Corsair CX Series CX600M 600 Watt ATX Modular SKU: 189845 $79.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6. SKU: 994442 $89.99
EVGA 256-P1-N400-LR e-GeForce 6200 256MB DDR2 PCI SKU: 058404 $49.99 (Cheapest S-Video Out I could find, but I personally would look for a used one on the the For Sale thread)
Total $504.95 att microcenter

I dont think there are any S-Video Input grpahic cards, but from what I can tell your Laptop can capture s-video? if not then you need a video capture device.

Unfortunately Speedy, your setup won't work for the OP since there is no Microcenter located near the OP. Nor does MC sell those items online for the same price as their in-store prices.

Not to mention that the OP never mentioned what the model number or the voltage rating of his A-Data RAM was. Considering that A-Data did release RAM rated at 1.65V, well above the recommended 1.5V for Intel CPUs, it is not certain that the OP did not buy the 1.65V RAM. If he went AMD, the RAM voltage issue really wouldn't matter that much.

I'm sleepy now. If no one provides the OP with another build list, I'll do it.

$195 - AMD FX-8350 FX-Series Eight-Core Processor Edition
$45 - Hauppauge 558 ImpactVCB Full Height PCI Video Capture Card 558
$56 - Seasonic 430W SLI ATX12V Power Supply S12II 430 BRONZE
$230 - Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB

Total: $526

I don't know much about that capture card, but Hauppauge has a good reputation.

I know the PSU seems too low for your use, but 430W should be plenty. The 7870 was measured using 312W at the WALL, so 430W should be more than enough even with the more power hungry AMD setup.

You can read more about the power consumption of the 7870 here. Do note that your base setup will use more than the 2500k. For comparison, the 8350 was recorded at 155W idle which is around 92W more than the Intel setup. Even if you add in the 92W to the 312W, that's still 404W at the wall which means the PSU will output less. So yes the PSU will be in the upper range of it's power range, but that's not a bad thing.

If you really want to keep it under $500, go with this GPU instead.
$190 - MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That is a great video card but it does not have a S-Video out

That's what the capture card is for. The OP wants to capture video off a camera that supports s-video output, thus the computer needs s-video input.

That's what the capture card is for. The OP wants to capture video off a camera that supports s-video output, thus the computer needs s-video input.

Capability of both capturing S-Video Input and outputting S-Video output

He needs to also output to his laptop if I am not mistaken.

Well if that's the case, then he needs to stick with the 7850 GPU for $190 and go with a second cheap GPU with s-video output like this.

$40 - EVGA nVidia e-GeForce 6200LE 256 MB

It's a worthless video card for gaming, but it's got s-video output.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess I don't get it. Once the files are captured, from analog to digital on the AMD rig, why can't they just go digitally to any other device on the planet? Thumb drive, SD card, rip it to data DVD whatever.

I guess I don't understand the workflow. Comes into the computer via capture card via S-video. Digitally captures analog video on the computer via software. Original video is now digital.

Then the computer needs to play the video out via S-video to some other capture somewhere else? I guess I don't understand why the original device wouldn't just play directly to the other laptops' capture?

I don't get it. I think it'd be way simpler to capture on the new desktop, then just rip, copy, or transfer the digital files for use on any other device. My 2 cents.

I guess I don't get it. Once the files are captured, from analog to digital on the AMD rig, why can't they just go digitally to any other device on the planet? Thumb drive, SD card, rip it to data DVD whatever.

I guess I don't understand the workflow. Comes into the computer via capture card via S-video. Digitally captures analog video on the computer via software. Original video is now digital.

Then the computer needs to play the video out via S-video to some other capture somewhere else? I guess I don't understand why the original device wouldn't just play directly to the other laptops' capture?

I don't get it. I think it'd be way simpler to capture on the new desktop, then just rip, copy, or transfer the digital files for use on any other device. My 2 cents.

The digital files are simply for storage/backup - you're right, I want to make these raw files digital for ease of transferrably to any medium that may be required in the future.

The problem is that our video is processed via a capture program that attaches clips to user-entered entered metadata- these processed clips are what we use on an everyday basis, and the software suite we use ONLY accepts analog sources. The digital storage is an extra measure of redundancy in case we would like to process our video in some other fashion in the future.

Right now we simply use a DVD recorder to backup this raw footage, which is pretty cumbersome to work with when we want to capture clips from different DVD's for smaller side projects- I simply want to see if it would be easier to store the files digitally rather than have volumes and volumes of DVD's.

Back