Help me pick my speakers (Audioengine/Vanatoo/etc)

Zyde

Limp Gawd
  • What am I looking for? Speakers and sub
  • For? Desktop computer, Windows 8.1
  • Budget? $1k
  • Audio Source? FLAC files for main collection, iTunes/Spotify for trendy songs
  • Constraints? Single location for volume; leave low frequencies to sub

I currently have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX plugged into my computer desktop, but I am totally fine spending more and purchasing an external DAC if that helps meet my constraints.

I use an SVS subwoofer for my living room, and I love the bass it produces. So I am pretty much set on buying an SVS-SB1000 for my bedroom desktop. That leaves the speakers. I've considered the following:

(And I absolutely want a sub; I realize that some of the speakers below cover lower frequencies.)

• AudioEngine A5+
    - Internal DAC -> SVS -> A5+: If I do this, my computer volume controls everything. A small mistake could mean deafening loud.​
    - Internal DAC -> A5+ -> SVS: If I do this, I can use the A5+ for master volume, but then they also intrude into the lower frequencies without crossover, not sure how that would sound when coupled with the much more powerful SVS. Thoughts?​
  • Vanatoo T1
    - I've heard these are supposed to be good with their flat lows, and it wouldn't be worth using them with a subwoofer? I'm not sure what to expect, but they do have a single sub-out output connector.​
    - The volume is at the back, so I'd have to control the volume from my computer via Internal DAC. Again, not sure if this is optimal for same reasons as A5+ above.​
  • Kanto Yumi
    - Haven't dug in deeply but including in my list anyways.​

And another possibility altogether is ditching the internal DAC in favor of:

• External DAC with a physical volume knob -> SVS SB-1000 -> (amplified?) bookshelf speakers for higher frequencies.

Please feel free to completely throw my reservations aside if you'd like to suggest something completely different. I basically want a setup that plays well together, and is very easy to use with a single location for controlling volume. The budget is a loose one, I can go over if there is something exceptional a bit higher.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The external DAC is not needed in that price range if you have a decent sound card. Sub 1k speakers are still very low end. If you do get the dac better reasoning for it would be isolation from ground loops and having a preamp built in (assuming your dac will have one).

Here's one list of DACs currently available - some have preamps some don't.

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best-dacs-2015

The T1:s go only to 40hz where subwoofer begins so why wouldn't you need one? I would pick a proper active studio monitor for computer use instead of these 'powered bookshelf' types you listed.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My initial thought was LSR305s plus a Hsu VTF2. Unlike Hsu, the SVS includes sat outputs & shipping. Considering the small price difference & your happiness with SVS, go with them again.

This leaves about $250 for a DAC, but your STX is a solid card. Try it for a while before you decide to spend more.

Really can't go wrong with the LSR305, though I've not heard those M-Audio monitors Zepher listed.

I'm downsizing my current PC audio setup: DAC + amp + bookshelf (DT SM55) + sub (SVS PC12). Sounds great but takes up a lot of space on a very crowded workstation. Ideally, I'll sell everything except the DAC, and buy a pair of LSR305 + SVS SB-1000. I'm more into games than music, so I hope I my little plan is solid.

Keep in mind that the T1s are significantly smaller than LSR305 or other speakers of similar quality. If you're short on desk space, this might end up being what matters.

Interesting @ LSR305; I'll check those out. Desk space is not an issue; I was thinking of getting floor stands for the speakers anyways, so the speakers won't take up space on my desk.

Is there something markedly better than the LSR305, up to say $1k for a pair? I'm happy with the SVS as my sub, and I'd really like the speakers to go well with them and not be the weak link.

Finally, if I go with this setup:
  • DAC: Asus Xonar Essence STX
  • Speakers: 2 * JBL LSR305
  • Subwoofer: SVS SB-1000

... then, how should I connect them? Since the speakers don't have sub-out, I can only do this (arrows represent signal flow):
  • DAC -> Sub -> Speakers

Since the DAC is internal, my OS would then control master volume? Do I keep the speakers at 100% all the time? Using the OS/software for master volume with such a sub and speakers sounds precarious. One accident and I could end up with deafening loud audio. Any thoughts on this? Using an external DAC with a physical volume knob would fix this issue.

Keep in mind that the T1s are significantly smaller than LSR305 or other speakers of similar quality. If you're short on desk space, this might end up being what matters.

Usually smaller speaker = worse. Another thing to keep in mind.

I use Alesis M1 Active MK2 monitors on my other setup, this setup has M-Audio BX5 D2's paired with a BX Subwoofer.

The Alesis is a relatively large speaker,
speaker.jpg

Finally, if I go with this setup:
  • DAC: Asus Xonar Essence STX
  • Speakers: 2 * JBL LSR305
  • Subwoofer: SVS SB-1000

... then, how should I connect them? Since the speakers don't have sub-out, I can only do this (arrows represent signal flow):
  • DAC -> Sub -> Speakers

Since the DAC is internal, my OS would then control master volume? Do I keep the speakers at 100% all the time? Using the OS/software for master volume with such a sub and speakers sounds precarious. One accident and I could end up with deafening loud audio. Any thoughts on this? Using an external DAC with a physical volume knob would fix this issue.

I'm not sure if you're in the US but American Musical has a bundle with the LSR305's that comes with a passive volume control:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JBL-LSR305-LIST

There's also the Emotiva Control Freak:
https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

I'd recommend some sort of passive volume control over using OS/software master volume. Anyway yes you'd have the output of your DAC (and if you go with a passive volume control) into the Line Level Inputs on the SVS then use the Line Level Outputs to the LSR305's. The SVS has a fixed 80hz high pass filter which is just fine for the LSR305's, just make sure you set the sub to 80hz too. You'll have to buy some adapters if you go with a passive volume control and you'll need some RCA to XLR or TRS (doesn't matter which) adapters/cables for the SVS to LSR305 connection.

Usually smaller speaker = worse. Another thing to keep in mind.

Yeah, the 305 are as small as I'll go. If I had more room, I'd get the 308.

Usually, yes, but not entirely required. The Vanatoos sacrifice maximum output in favor of sound quality, which could suffice for many.

Placement is also important. Between two good-quality speakers, if under constraints, I'd choose the smaller one, and make sure better placement.

I'm not sure if you're in the US but American Musical has a bundle with the LSR305's that comes with a passive volume control:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JBL-LSR305-LIST

There's also the Emotiva Control Freak:
https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

I'd recommend some sort of passive volume control over using OS/software master volume. Anyway yes you'd have the output of your DAC (and if you go with a passive volume control) into the Line Level Inputs on the SVS then use the Line Level Outputs to the LSR305's. The SVS has a fixed 80hz high pass filter which is just fine for the LSR305's, just make sure you set the sub to 80hz too. You'll have to buy some adapters if you go with a passive volume control and you'll need some RCA to XLR or TRS (doesn't matter which) adapters/cables for the SVS to LSR305 connection.

Awesome, thanks!

you'd need a amp .. new / used stereo amp ..or if space constrained something like a t-amp or other small class D amp (SMSL SA-60 for example would be my suggestion)
http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-60-60WPC-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00PA3ECGK

but NHT has a $500~ deal for a pair of SuperZero's and a super 8 Subwoofer

http://www.nhthifi.com/bookshelf-speakers-subwoofer-Super-Stereo

I have (among others) a pair of NHT SuperZero's hooked up to my pc and they are fantastic

if you have the desk space/roomspace and patience / luck or just the budget to go buy on the auction site ..etc.. a nice power amp + a Emotiva control freak or Schiit SYS could be nice... I have a Parasound HCA-750A amp I found at goodwill for $20 that is just lovely I use it with the Schiit SYS preamp I mention before..
http://schiit.com/products/sys

All he needs is a preamp at most if he uses active speakers (as he should).

I'll also say go for active monitors. Lots of good ones out there. I like Adam Audio F5 but the larger Emotiva models are nice too, assuming you go for the 5 or above. The smaller models have limited low frequency output and therefore demand a sub, which the bigger versions can dig fairly deep all by themselves.

I wouldn't say a sub is absolutely necessary either. I'd go for a quality set of active monitors first and see how it performs. You might find it good enough as is. If not, save up and buy a sub later. It doesn't have to be one big expense at the same time.

Back