help me pick an LCD

-=iNsAnE=-

Gawd
ok.. first i wanna describe a problem i'm having with my current samsung 955df crt.. out of nowhere it'll make this extremely loud high pitched squealing noise.. its not like a subtle hiss.. but a loud squeal (i can hear it from downstairs).. when i turn the monitor off and on a few times it will go away eventually.. but it is gettin worse and worse and is extremely annoying.. would anyone know of a way to fix this problem? or is my monitor shot?

since i'm assuming the answer will be the latter.. i've been looking at lcds... i really want the dell 2001fp but definitely dont have the money for it.. that'll require a lot of saving (but possible if necessary).. i never really looked into lcd's much before so i'm not in the loop of whats good and whats not.. so basically what i want is at least an 18" so my screen wont be any smaller.. and i want it to be able to run games with little to no ghosting.. i'm guessing i'll need a 16ms responce time for that.. so basically.. what is the cheapest possible lcd that will suit my needs? 1600x1200 res would be nice but is not a necessity.. so am i basically stuck with a 2001fp since a monitor with the specs i want will be close in price anyway? please give me some suggestions.. thanks!

The cheapest possible LCD that will suit your needs will be the 2001fp. That's really about it.

The viewsonic and NEC models cost a bit more.
As long as you're not too picky about things, you should be pleased with the screen. (unless you get a defective monitor).

Gaming : there's minimal ghosting
Text and graphics look sharp (but make sure you're using DVI interface)
Grainyness is present,.. not much, but it's there.

Overall , 2001fp's price to features/performance ratio can't be beat.

Overall , 2001fp's price to features/performance ratio can't be beat.

I'll second that.

Most of us here paid $750 to $800, just wait for sale they have them all the time, look at purchasing through business site too, sometimes they have better deal. Don't matter if your business or not. The return for full refund is different though. They will gladly take 15 percent for you. Search Internet for coupons for Dell too. You have to be vigilant Dell changes prices almost daily, sometimes. Got mine for $750 and next day they back at 1000. week later 750 again. They do have the most liberal return policy for bad pixels of any manufacturer.

I actually paid less through Home. ($10 less or so)
SB's tax is a killer. Even though they had the 20% off, after taxes it pretty much only came out to 10%. So what I did was buy a dell $50 off coupon on ebay for $7 bucks, and just bought it from home division. Since there's no tax or shipping. =)

Plus if you're not satified with it for some reason, most likely you can get some sort of compensation for the trouble.

I'm waiting for my compensation to go through, I'm kinda worried though, it's so hard to believe what they promise. I have a feeling somethings gonna go wrong with that... *sigh*

you weren't kidding about dell changing prices a lot.. 2 days ago it was $1k but now its $750... and where is a good place to get coupons? if i can get it for $750 plus a coupon of some kind and free shipping i'll be very tempted...

you weren't kidding about dell changing prices a lot.. 2 days ago it was $1k but now its $750... and where is a good place to get coupons? if i can get it for $750 plus a coupon of some kind and free shipping i'll be very tempted...

Only tempted?, Good luck getting it cheaper, like its not a steal at that price already. I tried the coupon thing, waited too long and price jumped up overnight. Get it while you can, free shipping is easy to get. Only a select few got it for less than $750 here, and that was only a credit after the purchase! Hint:If you call and cancel your order after placing it on the Internet, they will try and get you not to cancel by offering you some discount if your lucky.

Originally posted by Ramfart
Only tempted?, Good luck getting it cheaper, like its not a steal at that price already. I tried the coupon thing, waited too long and price jumped up overnight. Get it while you can, free shipping is easy to get. Only a select few got it for less than $750 here, and that was only a credit after the purchase! Hint:If you call and cancel your order after placing it on the Internet, they will try and get you not to cancel by offering you some discount if your lucky.

well.. hopefully i can still get it for that price in a month or so.. right now i have no money.. it'll be a month or more before i actually have the money to spend on it.. i'd liek to buy it now.. but cant :(

just outta curiosity.. how often does it go on sale down to $750? should i buy now or hope that in a few weeks it goes back down?

Dell's been having a sale often these days on the 2001fp.
It just went back up before, and went back on sale within a week.

but you'll never know, this might be the last one before a long break..

Back