Help me pick a cpu

hyper7

n00b
Ok I'm planning on building a moderatly priced gaming computer as soon as I get the money. Problem is I can't decide on what cpu I want to use. I kind of want to use a pentium 4 based processor.
Thanks for your help;)

Pentium 4 2.4C GHz. Hyper-threading, 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache, inexpensive, overclockable. Be sure to get a motherboard with an Intel 865PE or Intel 875P chipset and a matched pair of PC3200 DDR RAM modules to go with that CPU. The Abit IC7/IS7 series motherboards are excellent ... I've only worked with those boards in the Abit lineup, so there may actually better boards out there :) I'd recommend Kingston HyperX memory because it has treated me nicely

1) will you oc?

If yes to the first questions go to question 2

If no go to final answer B

2) Will you use
A) Sweet ram Mushkin or PC4000
B) SHit ram Generic PC3200

If A, go to Final A
If B, go to Final B

A=2.6C
B=2.8C

WOw id kill myself i had to do that all the time.

Why do you kind of want to use an Intel chip? Do you know the other side? Look into AMD, maybe you might like it and save money. Maybe you will not and get the Intel chip anyway. Either way, if you are spending the $$$, it doesn't hurt to research.

2.6C, btw.

2.6C is now the way to go since the 2.4 is out

Only reason we likes the 2.4 is because you hit madd fsb

2.6 is now the new madd fsb achiever

I still <3 my puzzle I made for him :-D

12.6C is tough to find, but it's the best way to go in this situation.

A 2 Gig processor would be helpful also, but not very practical.

here is a bit of advice from experience of my stupidity

do NOT buy something just because they over-advertise it..
in my case, they over-advertise the intel p4 so when i built my first computer, i was like, whatever happens, i gotta get a p4..but the only reason i wanted a p4 is cus i thought it was the BEST because of all that advertisement...so DONT put ur faith in advertisement, they're only to tell u about new products, if u wanna KNOW about new stuff, u read reviews

so my new computer has a p4 in it and i thought it was nice and after i got more into computers, i began READING reviews... then i built other computers.... in MY opinion, i think the amd is better and cheaper than the p4 and i would have bought an amd when i built my first computer but instead, i listened to the advertisements....

so dont rush, take things slowly, read reviews, think thoroughly b4 buying, plan ur system out..etc (i did none of this for my first computer...so i got a p4 2.0ghz, some intel unOCable mobo, crappy vid card, some sound card from this computer i found, a generic psu, and generic pc2100 256mb ddr ram)

so make sure u dont do anything stupid like me and think about ALL ur other choices before going straight to a product i see a lot on tv

o yea, and GOOD LUCk

Originally posted by biru32
12.6C is tough to find, but it's the best way to go in this situation.

Of course the 12.6C is hard to find, it hasn't even been announced yet, let alone released ;)

The 2.6C should be very readily available. Much sooner rather than later, Intel's going to produce fewer 2.4Cs and more 2.6Cs, so the 2.6C will be the entry-level Pentium 4. I work at a small system builder in the Chicago area, and we removed the 2.4C from our prebuilt system lineup entirely, replacing it with the 2.6C and keeping the price the same :cool:

i got a 2.6c about 3 weeks ago and it has treated me VERY nicely.. i beleive u gotz ta go with the p4 2.6c if u want a good proc

go with a 2.4C.. get yourself some good memory

if money is an issue, get a barton 2500+ and unlock it

spend extra on a 2.6C??????

2.4C's are rare and again 2.6C is now the intry level processor for the same price as the 2.4C. Actually I remember back a few months when newegg had the 2.4 more expensive than the 2.6 due to lack of inventory.

Get the 2.6, it has the o/c potential of all the chips with a 200 mhz advantage :D

I still like my puzzle though^^

I should do that for a living

....said it before, and I still believe that the choice of a CPU is really the choice of a system, consisting of a CPU and a motherboard chipset. IMHO - you can't really seperate the two. Given that approach, I still think that "bang for the buck" the Intel P4 solution is the best answer.....today. As fast as this industry changes, that may not be the case sooner than later. But, today, I'd buy and recommend buying a P4 / Intel chipset solution.

FWIW - B.B.S.

Back