Help me get this Q6600 to 3.2GHz+

Teitoku

Limp Gawd
So I have these:
Q6600 G0 SLACR @ 2.4GHz
GIGABYTE EP45-DS3L
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM

I used to run it at 3.0GHz or so, I think. During the last summer, it started crashing if I ran it above stock... no clue why, other than ambient heat perhaps. I was probably doing it wrong anyways.

I recently upgraded from a 9800GTX+ to a 650 Ti, and I'd like to get as much performance out of this system as I can. The thing is, if I try to run this CPU even 100MHz over stock, it either freezes or BSODs on me. Sometimes it makes it as far as the Windows desktop, but not always.

I've tried various settings, vcore from 1.30 (VID for this CPU) to 1.45, FSB from 200MHz to 400MHz, nothing really helps. I'm a noob at overclocking anything beyond a Barton core Athlon XP, so I'm lost with this myriad of settings in my BIOS. Don't know where to begin. I've looked at a half-dozen guides and I don't see anything that I recognize as a starting point; just explanations of BIOS settings.

So can I get this sucker to 3.2GHz? How?

Last edited:
So I have these:
Q6600 G0 SLACR @ 2.4GHz
GIGABYTE EP45-DS3L
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM

I used to run it at 3.0GHz or so, I think. During the last summer, it started crashing if I ran it above stock... no clue why, other than ambient heat perhaps. I was probably doing it wrong anyways.

I recently upgraded from a 9800GTX+ to a 650 Ti, and I'd like to get as much performance out of this system as I can. The thing is, if I try to run this CPU even 100MHz over stock, it either freezes or BSODs on me. Sometimes it makes it as far as the Windows desktop, but not always.

I've tried various settings, vcore from 1.30 (VID for this CPU) to 1.45, FSB from 200MHz to 400MHz, nothing really helps. I'm a noob at overclocking anything beyond a Barton core Athlon XP, so I'm lost with this myriad of settings in my BIOS. Don't know where to begin. I've looked at a half-dozen guides and I don't see anything that I recognize as a starting point; just explanations of BIOS settings.

So can I get this sucker to 3.2GHz? How?

One thing I dont see is what kind of cpu cooler you have?

Seems like I can get it to work at 400x6, 266x9, but if I raise it past 2.4GHz, I get bluescreens and lockups in Windows. RAM seems to work fine from 800MHz to 1066MHz, so I guess it's not the problem.

Have you tried running it from a different PSU.. might not be getting clean/stable power

Just a thought

What temps are you getting under full load?

Have you tried clearing your BIOS via the jumper?

Have you tried reseating your CPU?

Have you tried reseating your RAM?

Try with a different power supply.

Temps: From 50c to 68c, depending on what settings I'm testing.
Clear BIOS from jumper? Not yet.
Reseat CPU/RAM? Not yet. I'll certainly try reseating the RAM, but the CPU... I'm afraid to remove that HSF one more time since it attaches with the cheapest of plastic pushpins.

PSU? Only other one I own is a POS ThermalTake 500W unit. Is that worth trying?

Oh, and I jumped the gun on claiming 400x6 works. Froze up after a few seconds of Prime95.

edit: Just remembered that my PSU was a replacement for one that I had to RMA. Probably a refurb, and possibly a source of trouble like you suggested. Damn it.

Last edited:
Have you disabled things like Intel SpeedStep etc? It could be a long shot, but I reckon one of the chips might have been damaged by overclock/heat combo, especially if you were running high voltages.
I would also do a visual check and try to see if there are no bulging capacitors or something like that. If it's minor it might be causing lock-ups and problems at very high power loads (when overclocked).
Also, those temperatures are strangely high for a stock q6600. I'm getting same temps on a 3.2GHz overclock with a TRUE120 eXtreme. Maybe try rebuilding your pc, reseating everything etc?

Have you disabled things like Intel SpeedStep etc?
I would also do a visual check and try to see if there are no bulging capacitors
Maybe try rebuilding your pc, reseating everything etc?

Yeah, all the speed throttling & power saving options are currently disabled until I can get it stable.

No bulging capacitors; they aren't even a type that could bulge... solid metal casings.

I did rebuild the machine late last summer, when the ambient temps went way up. Didn't seem to have affected much, though.

Sorry, I didn't check anything about the motherboard - I can see now that it has solid state capacitors, so my suggestion was rather silly. I guess we'll have to wait for BIOS screenshots, as it seems that everything is done the right way.
You said that your system started crashing last summer if it was overclocked. Was it sudden? Did you start the PC one day and had to run stock clocks or was it gradual, i.e. would crash once a week, then once a day and then wouldn't boot at all? Was there something else that happened at that time?

You said that your system started crashing last summer if it was overclocked. Was it sudden? Did you start the PC one day and had to run stock clocks or was it gradual, i.e. would crash once a week, then once a day and then wouldn't boot at all? Was there something else that happened at that time?

You know, I don't remember 100% clearly. I THINK it happened this way, but I may be wrong.

I believe I ran it at 3.0GHz (possibly 3.2, but 3.0 more likely) normally. Probably 333x9. I don't believe I actually set most of the BIOS settings, though... left them at Auto. Probably why I couldn't hit a stable 3.2GHz back then; low CPU voltage. I hope that isn't dangerous.

Started to see BSODs more and more frequently, and when I'd reboot, the machine would fall back to low speeds... 1.6GHz or 2.0GHz or something. I'd pop into the BIOS to fix it and see "Failsafe settings have been loaded due to overclock failure." Couldn't figure out why, so I just let it run at stock speeds and left the case open for airflow. I even had to put a room fan blowing into the case to get it stable during that hot summer. Apartment temp was only 80F, but I guess that was hot enough to screw it up.

If you left it on auto, I'd be more worried about too much CPU voltage. not too little.

If you left it on auto, I'd be more worried about too much CPU voltage. not too little.

Still, is there any chance that too little voltage could damage hardware? I'll set it to Auto again and check how much power is being delivered under load.

I need to update the BIOS too..

Haha "Votlage". These are G.Skill's recommended timings for 1066MHz.

More Votlage

RAM maker's tech support said to use this Command Rate

Kinda hot for just running the BIOS.

I'd put my money on your memory timings needing to be loosened,
Whereabouts? 7-7-7-20? 6-6-6-18? I'm using the manufacturer's recommended timings for 1066MHz and I'm not even running them at 1066MHz most of the time.

Last edited:
I'd go 6-6-6-18.

I'm at DDR2-1000 on Corsair XMS2 4x2gb ram at timings 6-6-6-20 at 2.000v on my board.

Also, again with the auto settings on your voltages. You need to set those to normal. It should be the selection under auto if your bios is the same as mine.

I'd go 6-6-6-18.

I'm at DDR2-1000 on Corsair XMS2 4x2gb ram at timings 6-6-6-20 at 2.000v on my board.

Also, again with the auto settings on your voltages. You need to set those to normal. It should be the selection under auto if your bios is the same as mine.

Alright, I'll give those a shot later tonight.

Auto isn't the same as Normal, huh? I figured it was. What's the deal, Auto lets the voltage shift to what the mobo decides at that particular moment, while Normal uses a set value at all times?

Alright, I'll give those a shot later tonight.

Auto isn't the same as Normal, huh? I figured it was. What's the deal, Auto lets the voltage shift to what the mobo decides at that particular moment, while Normal uses a set value at all times?

Yes. If you watch CPU-Z, you'll notice voltage shoots up and down in Auto but stays at a constant value at Normal.

And when it shoots up, it shoots up.

I've got the same mobo & cpu with ddr2 800mhz skill 4x2gb, I was able to run stable 8x400 (3.2ghz) with 1.525 vcore, this mobo has horrible vdroop, I believe I'd see it go down to 1.46 during OCCT stress testing.

Temps were in the 60's range, though this was with the corsair H100

What does your vcore read during full load?

I have pretty bad vdroop too, I've noticed. Temperatures blow also.
I'll see around 1.21v when it should be 1.30v, and 1.30v when I've set 1.38v in the BIOS. Almost 0.1v drop there.

Set MCH frequency latch to 1333
Set the RAM speed to lowest strap(next thing down)
fsb term 1.28
MCH core 1.36 or so
Vcore 1.37 or so
CPU PLL 1.6
CLOCK SKEW
cpu skew=200
mch skew=400
That's all i can remember at the moment..this Zosma is giving me fits..doesn't like my RAM er summin'
Giga does NOT like high RAM.and you have to use sloppy timings
Your board is on that has no sinks on the VRMs and you're running a quad..I'd inspect the VRMs..look for meltins n stuff
Giga didn't use the bestest quality ones on those models.
I tried my ep45T the other day and watched a VRM light up like a struck match.

Set MCH frequency latch to 1333
Set the RAM speed to lowest strap(next thing down)
fsb term 1.28
MCH core 1.36 or so
Vcore 1.37 or so
CPU PLL 1.6
CLOCK SKEW
cpu skew=200
mch skew=400

Few questions/comments:

Why set MCH Freq. Latch to 1333 & RAM to lowest strap?
What/where is FSB Term?

PC wouldn't POST with the clock skews altered. Had to reset them back to 0.

I have this thing at 3.1GHz now. Works pretty well. Temps are at the upper limit of what I'll accept, though... high 50s to low 60s at full normal usage; upper 60s with synthetic usage like Prime95.

I think vdroop and cooling are holding me back now. Maybe I'll run benchmarks at 2.4GHz, 2.8GHz, 3.1GHz, and see if it'd be worth any further effort/money to get it any higher.

Well, yes and no. It's not worth it to put money into it just to push it a bit higher. However, 212 Evo can be had for under $30, and you can carry it to your next build too (you should be able to get new mounting hardware for later sockets from CM). It's really up to you. Now, you probably are at the maximum temperature for a Q6600 as it is, anything after 70C and I believe it throttles.

I'm looking at these options:
$10 - 775 backplate kit
$20 - 212 Plus
$30 - 212 EVO

Basically, I'm just not happy with the job the AC Freezer is doing with those cheapo plastic push-pins holding it on.

Few questions/comments:

What/where is FSB Term?

I have this thing at 3.1GHz now. Works pretty well. Temps are at the upper limit of what I'll accept, though... high 50s to low 60s at full normal usage; upper 60s with synthetic usage like Prime95.

I think vdroop and cooling are holding me back now. Maybe I'll run benchmarks at 2.4GHz, 2.8GHz, 3.1GHz, and see if it'd be worth any further effort/money to get it any higher.

The biggest difference you see in a Q6600 is from 2.4 to 3.0. After that it's gravy.

Your temps are also fine. I'd be happy with 3.1 and just rock it for another year or so until haswell hits.

Well, if you want to play with a rebate:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118134

$30, AIO liquid cooler. Should come with a 775 mounting adapter.

I considered those at first, but I keep reading that they have trouble keeping up with overclocked processors. I guess this one is heavier-duty though? If it can handle it, sounds like it's worth a try.

Also, I don't see any mention of 775 compatibility on your link or the product's page on Zalman.com...

My chips are both under the lowest end corsair coolers, and I'm running the hotter B3 stepping Q6600. I think it would likely be fine for your purposes.

That being said, you are putting money into a dead platform.

My chips are both under the lowest end corsair coolers, and I'm running the hotter B3 stepping Q6600. I think it would likely be fine for your purposes.

That being said, you are putting money into a dead platform.

If the full system upgrade is inevitable, why not get the CPU cooler early?

Good to know about your Corsair AIOs. Seeing product reviews where somebody was hitting 70c with a similar model made me wary, but they probably just did a poor install job...

GTL's man gonna have to learn em and methodically tweak them. When you do and hit that right spot that wall should disintegrate (provided, you have a good chip). Also I'd hit the MCH and Ram volts one notch above stock. Vdroop is another possibility and probability. So many things do some research.

GTL's man gonna have to learn em and methodically tweak them. When you do and hit that right spot that wall should disintegrate (provided, you have a good chip).

First time anybody's mentioned that.:rolleyes: See why I'm having trouble?

I'll look into that, thanks.

Few questions/comments:

What/where is FSB Term?

I apologize..fsb term in giga-ese=CPU termination :D
GTL's man gonna have to learn em and methodically tweak them. When you do and hit that right spot that wall should disintegrate (provided, you have a good chip). Also I'd hit the MCH and Ram volts one notch above stock. Vdroop is another possibility and probability. So many things do some research.

Giga does does GTLs automatically quite well.

I don't suppose anybody cares at this point, but I replaced the AC Freezer 7 with a Xigmatek SD1283 Night Hawk, and ditched the AS 5 for Tuniq TX-2.

Now I'm doing 3.5GHz at stock speed temperatures... about 20-25c lower than I was seeing at 3.1GHz with that AC Freezer.

I think it's a decent $40 investment, and I've still got the AC Freezer if I decide to move the Xigmatek to a new machine later.

I don't suppose anybody cares at this point, but I replaced the AC Freezer 7 with a Xigmatek SD1283 Night Hawk, and ditched the AS 5 for Tuniq TX-2.

Now I'm doing 3.5GHz at stock speed temperatures... about 20-25c lower than I was seeing at 3.1GHz with that AC Freezer.

I think it's a decent $40 investment, and I've still got the AC Freezer if I decide to move the Xigmatek to a new machine later.

:thumb: Yeah..freezer 7 sucks..I didn't wanna say anything ..but..yeah.

Back