Help Me Find A Good Wireless Router

GummyBear

Weaksauce
exactly as my thread is called + wut good cards to go with it. living in a 3 story house. cable in the basement and need to do a wireless connection the computer in the 3rd floor.

yeah i got the same question if anyone could point us in the right direction, if i didnt know any better i would buy the link-sys for 70 bucks at circuit city. I will need a wireless router for my home, one laptop and 2 computers. TIA

I am a fan of the officeconnect routers from 3com. They have great interfaces, given me no problems, and the wireless signals I get are great. Never tried in a 3 story house though. That will be interesting.

linksys and netgear is the best but from wut i heard netgear is much easier to setup/use. so im thinkin bout a netgear. anyone kno which model is good. im a gamer so i definitely need a good wireless router i don't want delay. :eek:

You dont have to. Only if you want to be able to do all that extra stuff.

I've got the D-Link DI-624 and it has been great. Extremely reliable, and fast too. THIS ONE

I use it for wireless of course, but I also have 3 machines plugged in via ethernet, and a workgroup printer plugged into it. Never had one problem (knock on wood) :D I would recommend going with a "G" tho.

My last router was a Linksys (non-wireless), and it was pretty good too. I'm sure their wireless routers are fine also.

Good luck.

Make sure any router you buy is AT LEAST capable of 128 bit WEP and MAC restriction. If youre really paranoid, some routers support different types of encryption that cant be cracked with some time and perl scripts *cough* WEP *cough*

I have a Netgear MR814v2 its okay... doesnt get overloaded by things like bittorent.. easy to forward ports and configure but my only complaint is the range.. and since the antennna is soldered to the board I cant replace it without some hacking.... range is good but I want it to be UBER power like thing :D

I've got the D-Link DI-624 and it has been great. Extremely reliable, and fast too. THIS ONE

AGREED, i bought a linksys WRT54G and the signal was too weak. games were terrible for wireless, now I am happy with d-link.

i had problems with low signal on my WRT54G as well, however, I put the Sveasoft free firewall(not the current version but the previous version which is free. There firmware allowes you to up the output power from 20mW to 80mW, havn't had a problem since. As well, I no longer have problems with my 2.4 ghz phone knocking out my wireless signal. I plan on paying the $20 for the newest sveasoft firmware soon, overall it's a nice add-on. I have used D-Link as well and it worked quite well.

Back