Help me figure out how to keep my pc and room cool

So ill be moving into my new apartment in early august, with my friend. The bedrooms are set up almost identical with a large sliding glass door that leads to a very small deck thing. The only difference is that his room also has a window becuase his room in on the corner...here are my paint skills to show you what i mean...

roomlayout-1.jpg
sorry the image is small, ill edit it later

So since i will have trouble with even a fan to get some fresh air into my room, i figure i could come here with trying to cool my pc.Oh yeah, my pc will probably not be near the sliding doors (it will be on the other side of the room). Any thoughts of what i could do to help keep it and my room cool?

Sorry I can't help you, but I was about to post the same question - well, almost. My room is always hotter than any other room in th ehouse all because my computer is on 24/7. Is there any way to keep my room cool with my computer on all the time?

Tzzird said:
Underclock your CPU and lower the voltage ;P

That and trying to build some sort of ducting to take the hot exhaust from the computer out of the room are the only two things you can do really. Assuming of course you dont want to change your ways and leave the computer off more often.

you (and your roommate) will just have to get used to the fact that you're going to be spending a lot of your time at home naked. also, ziploc bags full of ice + duct tape = you not feeling so hot, but it hurts when you take the tape off.

Monkey_feces said:
Switch all fans to intake and install this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835150067 . Be sure to seal up any sort of ventilation that is not utilizing an intake fan.Being an air conditioner, I would estimate its power consumption at 100 watts or more. If the noise ever bothers you, you could use headphones with good isolation or turn up your speakers.
Edit: It takes 52 watts http://www.gogofan.com/gogofanphp/product_info.php?products_id=168 .

BAD BAD BAD IDEA!

That will only add *MORE* heat to the room. Sure it might make your PC cooler (doubtful it will likely make it hotter) but it will dump more heat into the room. Any TEC device produces more heat then it provides in cooling. And since you still are not doing anything to take heat out of the room...you are simply adding more heat to the room.

Erasmus354 said:
BAD BAD BAD IDEA!

That will only add *MORE* heat to the room. Sure it might make your PC cooler (doubtful it will likely make it hotter) but it will dump more heat into the room. Any TEC device produces more heat then it provides in cooling. And since you still are not doing anything to take heat out of the room...you are simply adding more heat to the room.
I thought your room only gets hot when your fans exhaust a good amount of the hot air inside your chasis. If the chasis is inclosed with no air escaping and an air conditioner constantly making the air inside your case cold, how can hot air be exhausted from your case? Air conditioners are supposed to slow active particles creating heat instead of displacing air, right?

I don't stand by my statements since I don't know wtf TEC is.

where will all the air in the case go then? if they're all blowing in.. is there just a black hole inside or something? :D

the pressure just builds and builds until the case explodes; i dont know how this will effect cooling, but im sure it wont make things cooler.

BR3T said:
the pressure just builds and builds until the case explodes; i dont know how this will effect cooling, but im sure it wont make things cooler.
(cf)Eclipse said:
where will all the air in the case go then? if they're all blowing in.. is there just a black hole inside or something? :D

LMAO!! You guys are freakin hilarious.

Dude, that's not an air conditioner. You're right about traditional compression conditioners (the unit for your house) but this is an electrical unit, that basically MOVES heat.

A TEC (Peltier) moves heat from the cold side, over to the hot side when voltage is applied. For example, a 50w Peltier unit (in a world with no thermodynamics) would move 50w of "heat" from the cold side to the warm side. Now, because we ARE bound to the laws of thermodynamics, one must assume that some energy will be lost (as heat) during the movement (as ANY electrical load will produce escaped energy, either as heat, light, sound or the combination of any 3).

In this case the TEC probably only pushes 30w of heat to the hot side, producing it's own heat, of 20w. All of this is cooled via a heatsink (the same way the hot side of your processor is cooled via a heatsink) that blows into your room. So, in order to cool the inside of your case 30w, you're creating 50w of heat on the outside. Bad Idea. Not to mention that your CPU is probably outputting 50w, and each GPU puts out another 50w (your chipset might throw 15w of heat) of heat, nowhere NEAR the 30w of the crappy peltier unit. Which, by the way, cools your case an average of 2-3'c TOPS.

Solution to the OP's problem... A window airconditioner. I purchased one at home depot (a 6000BTU unit) for under 100$ CAD. A great investment between you and your roomate, for a nice, cool year. **Edit** which of course won't work in your situation... I'll get back to this one when my brain wakes up.

Also, the OP can look at is this way, that computer turns into a space heater in the winter if he lives in a cold environment. A few years ago when i was still in school i had a crappy apartment, and i saved a pretty good chunk of change by not having to run heat all the time in the winter.

BR3T said:
Also, the OP can look at is this way, that computer turns into a space heater in the winter if he lives in a cold environment. A few years ago when i was still in school i had a crappy apartment, and i saved a pretty good chunk of change by not having to run heat all the time in the winter.

yeah its only hot for the first two and last months i would say (aug,sept, april,) but it was killer last year in the dorm even with a window. I was thinking just leaving the slinging door open (it has a screen) for that time. i was just wondering if you guys had any ideas.

thanks for the help so far :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:

sweet! my next project, black hole cooling! :p

apart from my sarcasm ^^

I would suggest water cooling, and a metric shit ton of hose...
just put your radiator outside the door and water cool your CPU, NB, and GPU.

otherwise, if your desperate (I would be), then install one of those small (6000 BTU) window A/C units in your screen door and build a plywood housing to fill the rest of the gap...

there cannot be civilization without A/C... Unless you live with chicks...

Just get the chasis air conditioner. I honestly pulled that idea out of my ass and I want you to be my guinea pig to test whether or not that $50 air conditioner will be able to cool significantly better than other cooling solutions for its price.

nhusby said:
there cannot be civilization without A/C... Unless you live with chicks...

LOL I remember those days, chicks seem to have this strange desire to run around in their underware especially around a guy roomie

I seem to especially walk around with an erection with a female roomie. After that she laughs :( At least my Epenis is somewhat large (refer to sig).

From reviews I remember reading, that unit does cool you case ambient down decently, but it does in fact dump a large amount of hot air into the room. It's simple really, 2 choices. 1) Reduce pc heat output by undervolting and/or using it less, or 2) Air condition/fans to cool the room off from pc heat output.
For an interesting reference, I AC my room, and it works pretty well. I set it to 75 degrees 24/7 and using a p3 kill-a-watt meter it uses around $18 a month with a rate of $0.19/kwh. Its a 6000btu unit, my room is closed off all the time (door closed and windows shaded) and is 13'x14'. Running rig in sig and 1.2ghz tbird file server 24x7 load (f@h). In the winter sometimes I would have to crack the window to get sleep. :D Good luck.

Monkey_feces said:
I thought your room only gets hot when your fans exhaust a good amount of the hot air inside your chasis. If the chasis is inclosed with no air escaping and an air conditioner constantly making the air inside your case cold, how can hot air be exhausted from your case? Air conditioners are supposed to slow active particles creating heat instead of displacing air, right?

I don't stand by my statements since I don't know wtf TEC is.

ROFL. Just ROFL.

Back