Help me choose a $100 upgrade.

yoda634

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I've got about $100, looking to blow it on computer parts. Relevant system is the better one in my sig.

Ultimate goal would be to have a faster AthlonXP (32 bit) running on an NF7-S.

Which will give me the largest performance gain immediately?
1) Buy NF7-S to replace the KD7 I have now. Keep the 2000+ (Palomino) for a few months.

2) Buy a Barton 2500+ from newegg (how do these o/c?) and keep the KD7

3) Buy a nice stepping 1700+ off ebay, overclock it as far as the KD7 will handle, then get the NF7-S later and push the cpu farther.

If you suggest the third, there's an 1800+ 1.5vcore JIUHB going on ebay now, will it o/c as well as the similar 1700+s?

Thanks

If you get the NF7, your memory doesn't match. The NF7 is dual channel. I'm not sure how that will work out with different size memory sticks and speeds. Just something to think about.

Out of those choices, I would get the 2500 Barton. However, there is something else for you to think about. Get rid of the HSF and watercool your system. :cool:

Upgrade your bank account until you have enough money to do something worthwhile.

Originally posted by djnes
Upgrade your bank account until you have enough money to do something worthwhile.

Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner.

I usually won't even think of any type of major upgrade unless I have at least $400.

OK, I specifically asked what to do with $100, not $400. I don't work, and $100 is a lot of money for me to have. I want to upgrade SOMETHING now, and some other things later.

Get a nice stepping 1700 and overclock it :)

if you buy any type of Barton, its a nice overclock if you mod it

Originally posted by Darkstar559

They were nice overclockers. Until they locked the multiplier. There's only so much you can do with the default multiplier, hehe.

Get a new hard drive and download a bunch of stuff. Discover BitTorrent! Discover IRC! Cancel your cable / satellite and put the money in your savings account. After a year you can afford a dandy system upgrade. Who needs CNN anyway? You can download anything good.

Originally posted by Darkstar559

Link to how to mod it? And you say, all steppings should OC well?

Originally posted by kovermours
Get a new hard drive and download a bunch of stuff. Discover BitTorrent! Discover IRC! Cancel your cable / satellite and put the money in your savings account. After a year you can afford a dandy system upgrade. Who needs CNN anyway? You can download anything good.

I have 440 GB of hard drives. About 120 of that is in use.
I know BitTorrent.
I don't like IRC file transfer for some reason.
I don't pay for DSL, the parents do.
I never use CNN.
I do download everything good. :cool:

When do you plan on your next total system overhaul? If its not for while then you may as well go for the nf7-s/xp1700 idea (the 1800+ was "almost as good as the 1700's...depending on stepping). If you plan on a total upgrade within 6 months or so, then go for an xp2500+.

Best $100 upgrade?

120GB Hard drive....man I'm ALWAYS running low on HD space, and I sure could use one.

440gb, 120gb used? Ok, hold off on the hd upgrade for a few months. Buy a chip instead.

Back