Help Me Build My Mom A New Rig

CaseyJ70

Weaksauce
I've got everything ordered and rounded up except the mobo, cpu and ram. I'm thinking of going the S754 route with a 3000+ and either an MSI mobo or the Asus. Would a stick or corsair Pc3200 be fine? She won't be overclocked. What I'm worried about is it will be mostly used to office work and SImply Accouting and such. Am I better off going with a little more expensive P4 with hyperthreading or will the AMD still beat the P4 at office work and that? Thanks alot. Sorry new to the AMD world.

What difference would 3 - 5 seconds make in Word or Excel scores make?

She doesn't need hyperhtreading for lightweight work.

How much mem are you getting, 512, 768 or 1024MB?

If you get the AMD and the mobo can use all 3 slots, get 3 x 256 for a total of 768. This should cost you about $150 - $200. This is tha amount to spend on the cpu. This puts you right in line with an AMD64 3000 cpu.

Since she won't be using it for gaming she can get away with a $3 video card (after rebates) or a $30 video card. I bought an ATI 7200 with 64MB of ram for $3.

Since she is not a gamer don't bother with a mobo which is made for overclocking. You want features and stability. You'll have to do your homework here - read all the reviews, see which ones have the least amount of problems and look for the lowest prices. That should put you in the $75 - $100 range for the mobo.

checkout www.zipzoomfly.com . Select a mobo that fits that criteria, then see if Kingston.com and Crucial.com have ram for that mobo on their websites, then get a price from zipzoomfly for that memory. They have 1G Kingston kits (2 x 512) for about $175. That would again put you on parity for the price of the cpu. If you were into gaming I would suggest a $150 - $175 video card, but since you're not... consider it not spending money you don't have to.

Then check all the other stores for the best prices, like pricewatch.com, sharkeyextreme.com, anandtech.com, newegg.com, dealsonic.com, etc.

one review: http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/chaintech_vnf3250/chaintech_vnf3250_01.html

You'll have to take into serious consideration the SATA connector construction and their placement, along with IDE cable placement and PSU connectors.

I just needed to know about the AMD vs Intel thing. I't'll have a gig of RAM. So 64 3000 and the Asus shoudl be good?

K8N?
K8V-X?
A8V-Deluxe?

What memory is used for each? Is the memory known to work correctly with that mobo? Is the memory certified?

If you throw just any memory into any mobo you are asking for problems.

If you read that link for the review you should find an interesting note of cpu / mem interaction. Check www.tomshardware.com for their studies of mem & the 754, etc.

You'll have to do a search here for all those names and read what the other guys think of those boards.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/index.html

CaseyJ70 said:
I just needed to know about the AMD vs Intel thing. I't'll have a gig of RAM. So 64 3000 and the Asus shoudl be good?

can you say ..complete overkill for what she is doing

it's complete overkill, but I've found the A64's to be faster in office applications than the Intels.

potroast said:
it's complete overkill, but I've found the A64's to be faster in office applications than the Intels.

See folks thats how you can tell when someone is [H]ard.

:D

I don't think there is any need for an A64 system here.

Just get her:
AXP 2500+
Asus Via KT400 board with DDR400 support, lan and sound
512mb of DDR400 (cheap, get samsung)
Maybe a cheap video card, anything will work. 9200, 5200, mx440, whatever you can get cheap.
40gb HD, More if she needs it.

There's no need to spend that much on a system for a light user... It's like throwing money into a black hole.

If your mom is anything like mine, she definately won't need it. Hell, my mom would be more than happy with a Celeron, lol.

Back