Help installing linux on thumbdrive

Zygomatic

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I'm working on getting fedora installed on a thumbdrive for my fileserver, and also for a gameserver. So far I've had a few problems, when I install straight from DVD, I have problems with it hanging during boot. I tried using a live version on the thumbdrive, but had problems getting Samba and SSHd working, and I wasn't sure what other problems I might run into later using a live version. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas or suggestions, or maybe a link to a good tutorial. I may be missing something, I've never had a problem getting fedora on a standard harddisk with the same hardware. I'm also considering FreeNAS for the fileserver, What do you guys think?

installing onto a Thumbdrive exposes some very unique ... problems.

The major one is ensuring that the HDD controller is in the kernel (in this case the usb massstorage driver). This is in the Fedora initrd/kernel (I use to run Fedora from a USB HDD).

The other problem is todo with how USB works... While the driver might be loaded by the kernel very quickly The actual USB controller will probably not enumerate the actual USB storage in time for when the kernel calls init...

you will more then likely need to add a delay root option to grub of 5seconds

rootdelay=5 at the end of the kernel line

Back