HELP! HELP! reinstalled XP, my other drives are gone =(

dragontales

Limp Gawd
my 160 gig hhd is partitioned into three drives ( C, D, E)

i formatted and reinstalled xp pro sp1 on my C: drive. Now i don't see D and E drive anymore. All my backup files are on those two drives. Can anyone help me. How can i get those drives back? :confused: help help. thanks.

Are disks still visible in Windows?

Right click on "My Computer"
select "Manage"
go to the "Storage->Disk Management" node

If they are there, can you assign a drive letter to the partition?
If they are not there, what is the size shown for the C:? Does the rest just show up as empty space or something?

my partition was like this c: 30 gig, d: 60gig, e: 60 gig

disk management only see my c: drive and burner.

windows only reads my hhd as 30 gig which is my c: partition. the rest is just lost somewhere out there. im frustrated.

If they were all on one disk, and if the disk manager can see only one of the partitions, something might have happened to the partition table...

To be sure here, in the disk manager, I'm not asking if the disk shows up in the top pane. In the bottom pane there should show a disk that's 160GB, divided horizontally between partitions. There's only one partition listed there then? Does the rest of the drive show up as free space, or are there other partitions defined there that simply aren't assigned to a drive letter?

Originally posted by dragontales
the bottom also says only c: drive 30 gig. no other drives or free spaces available.

?!?

Something doesn't make sense here. You say it's a 160gb drive, but that it only shows up as 30gb, with no extra space? Is it possible the drive is damaged?

At the very least I'd expect that on the bottom pane, it would show something like:
Disk 0
Basic
160 GB

(to the right of that, there would be entries for each partition on the disk, like "C:")

If the total disk size does show up as 30gb, instead of 160, then is it possible the wrong disk is plugged in, or perhaps some strange BIOS option? Just seems like if that's the case, the issue might be from something before Windows loads, like some damaged partition data strange BIOS extensions, or simply hardware configuration.

If it does read as 160 GB, does right click give you the option of creating a new partition?

Back