Help! HDD won't clone! (Ghost 2003)

zeroARMY

[H]ard|Gawd
So I need to copy my whinning WD to a new SATA drive I got today. I get Ghost 2003, use it's exellent interface to setup how to I want my cloning to take place, and then select to restart my PC and start the cloning. However, once the boot process is over and the "PC DOS" cloning BIOS GUI starts, it freezes right there! No hard drive activity or anything.

HELP!!

Ok, so I run Sysprep, restart. Run Ghost, restart, clone? Or do I run Sysprep and Ghost at the same time?

Sysprep, is to strip drivers so you can migrate to a different mobo

first you update v2003 to include the SATA fix

then just try that

if that doesnt work, try ripping out all the drivers with Sysprep

Thanks for your reply. I had i reply from symanec to say it can be done with a microsoft program called Sysprep which put the XP install back tto factory settings & rebuilds the drivers after the first reboot on the new drive.This program seems to be for multi roll outs of windows install with similer hardware or quick restores. Anyway here goes, its worth i try even with the issues of IDE to SCSi etc cloning. Seems more tech's will be upgrading to SATA & not want to do fresh xp installs ever time, hope it works, i'll let you know & thanks again.

you have Ghost 2003?

Yeah, I got Ghost 2003 and just updated it.

Are we talking about like hidden drivers and stuff I don't download, or like video card ones?

You could give up the Ghost (rim shot) and go with a different program, like Acronis True Image. I got turned onto TI from people at the Abit forums, works great. It will make images of ALL drives while booted to Windows, and it hablas SATA, cuz I just used it to copy my partitions from a PATA-using-a-SATA- adapter drive to my new true SATA drive.

Back