Help deciding on a 1440p korean monitor. PLS, AH-IPS or S-IPS?

mikelz85

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been looking around for a new monitor, and have become incredibly overwhelmed. I bought a korean monitor for my wife a while ago (PLS Qnix evolution II) and was pretty please with it. The main downside it has is backlight bleed.

It seems like there are so many different korean monitors, based on a number of different panels. Some are overclockable, some are not. Some are models several years old, and some are newer.

The things that are important to me are screen/color quality (including screen coating) and build quality. Overclocking is a plus, but not really required, certainly 120hz isn't needed since I can't drive that with my GPU anyways. Inputs aren't important.

I've heard good things about the YAMAKASI Catleap Q270, specifically the "2B Extreme OC", which is a S-IPS monitor. The 2703 uses the same panel I believe, but has tempered glass, however costs ~$200 more. There is also the CrossOver 27Q which uses a S-IPS panel.

I also looked at the Achieva Shimian QH2700-IPSMS, which seems to have a high build quality, and uses a AH-IPS panel. Best I can tell however this monitor cannot be overclocked whatsoever (please correct me if I'm wrong), again not a deal breaker.

The Crossover Black Tune 2735AMG/2755AMG models also use the same panel, and appear to have above average build quality. Again no overclocking though.

Then we have the PLS monitors, the X-STAR DP2710LED, the QNIX QX2710

Curiously, I noticed some QNIX Evolution II's are using an AH-VA panel. The one here is a multi-input that claims to be able to overclock without frame dropping, however I am skeptical, as I was under the impression multi-inputs generally did not OC http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...1435?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c41c67ceb

So can anyone give me a hand here? I'm really not sure at all what to buy.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
xmas is coming 4k 60hrz are literally a few months away and they will be cheep

xmas is coming 4k 60hrz are literally a few months away and they will be cheep
Are you saying to wait because new tech will push prices down on 1440 monitors?

I'm not especially interested in 4k, only because I doubt my card (290x) will be able to drive 4k 60hz for any kind of gaming whatsoever.

Also I'm under the impression that 4k with DPI scaling doesn't work super well yet, and many windows applications also look bad.

Catleap 2B OC for Glossy

Qnix qx2710 for Matte

get ONLY the single DVI-D models

I have both and really love the glossy screen on the catleap, that and it overclocks to 142hz!

IPS technology breakdown. In general though most manufacturer's don't even bother adding in the prefix letters like "S" or "AH" anymore as in general IPS technology has converged and built upon itself to the point where a marketed "IPS" panel is still going to have the wide viewing angles of the original technology with the added benefits of more recent process improvement such as higher contrast ratios, wider color gamuts (true 8-bit guaranteed, usually they are 8-bit+FRC which simulates 10-bit color), quicker response times (5ms is the general standard for a good IPS type), etc etc.

PLS is a basically the updated version of IPS technology as a whole - operates on the same principle but with improvements such as better brightness, lower production cost, lower power consumption, that sort of thing. Bottom line is that though not all IPS panels are created equal, generally unless its specifically targeted for a specific user segment, all those extra letters are mostly meaningless (if it's a true 10-bit panel it WILL be advertised in the specs and as an AH-IPS to boot).

However, none of those specific Korean monitors are true 10-bit color and 4k @60Hz won't drive the price down on 1440p monitors - at least not by a considerable amount. IPS technology was invented (technically) in the 1990's for christ's sake - and it's still hard to find an IPS panel of reasonable size (23" @ 1080p) debuting for $150. And though 1440p is growing in popularity - the typical gamer doesn't have the money nor the desire to go above 1080p thus why spend manufacturing resources and capital on making exclusively large 1440p IPS panels.

My $0.02 - just because new 4k developments are coming along doesn't mean any of the old technology will fall in price and it won't make 4k fall to the point of widespread adoption. That and its the electronics standards that have yet to catch up to the "4k craze." This is why I was always a fan of the DVI standard - just get a better controller and get larger AWG copper - bandwidth problem solved.

I am curious about this panel that I mentioned above, QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll SE, supposedly the frame skipping was fixed, and this panel can be overclocked even though it is multi-input. It is an AH-VA panel from AU Optronics. It is also a 10 bit panel, though I'm really not sure how much 8bit vs 10bit matters.

I'm also considering the Achieva Shimian QH270, since it is flicker free. I've learned that these monitors flicker when not at 100% brightness. Though I don't notice it on my wifes very much.

I am curious about this panel that I mentioned above, QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll SE, supposedly the frame skipping was fixed, and this panel can be overclocked even though it is multi-input. It is an AH-VA panel from AU Optronics. It is also a 10 bit panel, though I'm really not sure how much 8bit vs 10bit matters.

I'm also considering the Achieva Shimian QH270, since it is flicker free. I've learned that these monitors flicker when not at 100% brightness. Though I don't notice it on my wifes very much.

The qnix and the catleap do not flicker. do not get multi input, youve been warned

I figured that about the multi-input. Is it just their inability to OC, or are there other concerns too? In doing some research it looks like input lag is a problem with multi-inputs.

Is there a particular model to get, or avoid for backlight bleed? I forgot to ask, as this is another concern of mine.

It is also tempting to wait for a DVI-D version of the QX320QHD/QX323QHD that is bypassed with better input lag. At overclock.net people seem to indicate that this is on the horizon. 32" might be too large though :p

Last edited:
I figured that about the multi-input. Is it just their inability to OC, or are there other concerns too? In doing some research it looks like input lag is a problem with multi-inputs.

Is there a particular model to get, or avoid for backlight bleed? I forgot to ask, as this is another concern of mine.

It is also tempting to wait for a DVI-D version of the QX320QHD/QX323QHD that is bypassed with better input lag. At overclock.net people seem to indicate that this is on the horizon. 32" might be too large though :p

Catleap 2B OC for Glossy

Qnix qx2710 for Matte

get ONLY the single DVI-D models

Niether have really any issue with backlightbleed. Mine are perfection right down to zero dead pixels.

If you do go with a dual link DVI-D only monitor make sure you get a nice cable. If the monitor location is going to be within 10 feet, a 28 AWG cable from Monoprice will do. Might get some signal loss at 10-15 feet so at that length I'd go for the 24 AWG personally. Either way, those cables are fat and kind of stiff - but god damn do they work.

Back