Help decide S27A750 or S27A950

Agreed. I wish it was CCFL w/ a Dell Ultrasharp style stand. It's clear they went w/ form over function on this.

This monitor is awesome for gaming!!
It is far from a CRT, but still.. the joy of fluid motion in fps games...

Mine has a little bleed as well, but it doesnt bother me as much. It is surprising though... after a 4 year old Samsung 2693HM... that had less bleed! I guess LED backlight is sh*t. Thank you f*cktard manufacturers, really!

I wouldnt recommend this for anyone who does not play fps games and doesnt have a rig that can put out at least 100 fps in games. For movies, tv and work just play it safe and have a quality ips..

The fuck ?

I use mine for games, sure, but I also use it for office work, watching AVI, playing MMOs, music composition apps, browsing etc etc and it's perfect for all of those things...there is absolutely no reason to only consider the display if you play "FPS games", with or without 100fps. SWTOR is magnificant on it (far from a fast-paced game) as is WOW, HOMM6, etc.

It's a great all-rounder... I have my 27" iMac next to it and I far prefer the overall picture quality attributes of the Samsung to the iMac display. So much so that my now seldom used iMac is about to go onto eBay.

My advice to anyone out there is to get this display if you want a 1080p display, the only reason to go IPS is for higher resolutions if that floats your boat (and yes, I've owned IPS displays including a Dell 3007WFP).

Im sorry.. maybe its just me, but this is disappointing a little.. I have to live with this bleed.. :(

the only reason to go IPS is for higher resolutions

Dont agree with you there, there are other reasons as well:

better color accuracy
less bleed
better uniformity

Its always a compromise... and I hate the manufacturers for this!

I own the 950D and I love it. It does have a little bit of backlight bleed but I don't notice it, and only noticed it becuase I turned out all the lights and checked for it.

Like with most things, if you go looking for problems, you will likely find them.

1000, does your screen look anything like the one in the pic posted by Frank on page 2?

I would still like to see a pic of your monitor with a black screen (black in paint) in a dark room. After playing on my Eizo foris fs2331 for a few months and going back to my Samsung screens, i get pretty heavy blue backlight bleed around the edges.

For example the dark spots in games like Hexen II (old game) and Doom 3 look like blue, glowing oil patches. How do you manage to get your screen black? I've owned these monitors since december and tried every setting, every calibration option and even had them repaired at Samsung but still no luck.

Just wanted to report that I purchased both the S27A750 and the S23A750 to figure out what size would be best vs pixel density and ended up keeping the 23" and sending back the 27". From about 1.5' I could see the pixels on the 27 but could not on the 23.

Overall both monitors rock for gaming and 3D with 3rd person games are sweet! Darksiders is a great example of great looking 3D.

Also on BF3 I get about 100-120 FPS from crossfire 6870's and the smoothness upped my game big time. I'm able to look around quickly without blur to identifie where enemy's are. Even when the FPS dips into the 90's, things still look night and day better.

Out of my 6 monitors new and old, the S23A750 is the eye candy of the bunch and the colors are incredible!

Back