Help! Confused about 6800 Ultra & X800 XT PE

ohgod said:
They used the farcry 1.2 patch which had problems on ATI hardware...

Forget that Driverheaven's benchmarks are a waste of good internet bandwidth.

They used trilinear/AF optimizations on ATI cards but purposefully disabled them on Nvidia cards "because they could.". A very shady, underhanded tactic to skew benchmarks in ATI's favor:

DriverHeaven said:
*NOTE: All optimisations were disabled using the Nvidia drivers; this included tri-linear optimisations. With the ATI drivers it is not possible to disable some optimisations and therefore they are enabled.

Driverheaven should be considered an ATI fansite, I'd venture to say their articles and benchmarks are more biased than even Rage3d's recently.

Well I just put an XFX 6800 Ultra on order (I have to wait a couple of weeks) and now I am wishing I had choosen the X800 XT PE. If I had though I would probably want the 6800 Ultra :( .

I re-checked a few of the newest benchmarks at 1280x1024 (The res my LCD uses) with 4xAA & 8xAF and the 6800 Ultra seemed to have a lead in the majority, a big lead in the OpenGL games, and when it was behind it wasn't by much. Then I checked the Doom 3 benchmarks again, remembered the SM3.0 support and decided to go with the 6800 Ultra.

I still can't get the X800 XT PE out of my head though. It would be nice to have a smaller less power hungry card, and it can run at max res with full AA & AF in most games. Oh why didn't I get the X800 ? :(

Aston

Driverheaven should be considered an ATI fansite, I'd venture to say their articles and benchmarks are more biased than even Rage3d's recently.

Only as Biased as all the FUD benchies people keep posting from The GT sponsered NVnews And :eek: TOMS :p To me it just reaks of people getting there nose out of joint because SmoothMarketing3 is currently 98% Hype.And Driverheaven has shown it :p

I originally bought the 9800xt so I could play Doom3 and HL2 at 1600x1200, full detail. I didn't really believe all those people who said Doom3 was really a monster (a very graphically intense) app, that not even the 9800xt could run it at full. I was so wrong.

I just really want/ed the x800xt, tbh - still illogically hoping that it's going to be noticeably better in HL2 than the 6800u...

astondg - I'm with you, I dunno wtf to do (?)

Blad3 said:
I just really want/ed the x800xt, tbh - still illogically hoping that it's going to be noticeably better in HL2 than the 6800u... (?)

there isn't a shred of evidence to support ATI walking on Nvidia in HL2. Everything you hear is pure speculation and guesses. When the game comes out, you will find out.

@trapine said:
Only as Biased as all the FUD benchies people keep posting from The GT sponsered NVnews And :eek: TOMS :p To me it just reaks of people getting there nose out of joint because SmoothMarketing3 is currently 98% Hype.And Driverheaven has shown it :p

nV News is a hell of alot less bias then DriverHeaven. Have you even looked at the 6800u vs X800XT PE reviews that nV News has done? They were extremely fair and everyone with any sense about them admitted that. They showed the PE ahead in the areas it should be ahead. They didn't play favorites like DriverHeaven does. nV News has far more intellegent members then DriverHeaven does and you can tell that right away if you've been on their forums. ChrisRay on nV News is one of the most knowledgeble persons out there concerning the 6800's. You can see that if you look at all his in-depth articles on the 6800's technology.

Rage3D and DriverHeaven are two of the most useless sites i've ever seen in my life. 95% of the members dont know shit and just post stuff like "ATI RULEZ LOOK AT THESE BENCHES". They dont actually understand a damn thing thats posted.

If you want REAL tech information then go to Beyond3D or nV News. There are alot of ATI users on nV News as well. Even a few of the moderators use ATI cards.

DriverHeaven is a joke. They posted their lastest review turning all optimizations OFF on the 6800's and leaving the X800's as is. The X800's have FAR more optimizations than the 6800's. The 6800's dont lose alot of performance with Tri and AF ops off. AF ops even comes OFF by default now. nVidia doesn't need to optimize to hell and back because their cards are fast enough to compete against the X800's without it. nVidia is suppost to be working on some new optimizations for D3D though in the 62.xx series drivers and any real boost over the existing performance will definitely put them in the lead in D3D.

I'm surprised the 62.01 drivers havn't been used in Far Cry benches. Everyone that has run the 62.01 drivers knows that Far Cry performance gets a pretty big boost.

Tigerblade said:
Thers like 10fps + differnece in FarCry actually! If thats the case, then its more than the difference than Doom 3 and therefore....by your own conclusion, Nvidia are 'owned'....jesus, it makes me laugh when the card you have owns everything at one game, yet you tuen a blind eye when its getting owned at everyting else.....there is 50+ fps differnec in UT2k4....thats being owned......

look at the graph 2nd to bottom.....thats the XT PE beating the Ultra in FarCry by the same distance as the reverse in Doom 3....yet u say it isnt so??? thats even when the Ultra is using the *ahem* faster PS3.0 path....and the Ultra doesnt surpass the XT PE at all....

Oh and the guy saying he could notice the differnece between 50 and 60fps....BS complete BS. Yes you can tell the differnce between 10 and 20. MAYBE 20 and 30.....but dont talk shit about being able to see the difference between 50 and 60....

At the end of the day, they are ALL good cards....enjoy your purchase and know that you havent bought a stinker like the old FX line, what pisses me off is when ppl talk shit.......yes D3 is better on nvidia cards,,,but everything else is better an ATI....fact....just admit it and enjoy the games :)

Oh and heres the link that didnt work

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/6800andX800XT/test setup.htm

50fps+ in ut2k4!!!lol the only time the 6800U beats the XT PE is when u turn the AA and AF of @ 1600x1200, but then who spends that money on a gfx card and doesnt use aa and af!!!

I wish everyone would stop using that stupid review from DriverHeaven.

*NOTE: All optimisations were disabled using the Nvidia drivers; this included tri-linear optimisations. With the ATI drivers it is not possible to disable some optimisations and therefore they are enabled. Whilst this does not provide a true apples to apples comparison between cards it is our opinion that every review product should be tested at the best quality it can provide. It is up to the end user when they have the product to decide on optimisations which suit them. If ATI add an option to their drivers in future revisions we would also choose to disable the optimisations. Therefore it can be assumed that the performance on the 6800 Ultra can be improved over that shown in this review should you require it however this would mean reducing IQ. We suggest you read up on the optimisations which each manufacturer uses before deciding on your final purchase.

Yea thats real fair. :rolleyes:

They make a big issue about the performance results and forget to mention that the 6800's are running FULL Trilinear and the X800's are running shit Trilinear and Anisotropic Filtering optimizations enabled lol. The X800's lose ALOT of performance when Tri and AF ops are turned off. There were some benches of UT2003 on the X800's with their ops turned off that shows this for certain.

ATI has had to optimize alot to keep up with nVidia. If both cards were forced to run full Trilinear with maximum IQ, the 6800's would win the D3D performance crown holds bar.

Back