Help building my first HTPC....

dantheman

n00b
I am planning on building my first ever HTPC as I just bought a 42" LCD 1080p TV. I want to build a HTPC to use it with the TV. I can decide on all the regular parts as its really just like building a regular PC except for the case and a remote control for it and surround sound. I want a case that has an LCD display that if possible displays lots of info, like name of movie being played, time, temperature. I want my HTPC to be able to turn on an off via a remote control it will be in direct view of people sitting down so IR would be best I think. I also would like it to be small and would prefer if it were in black. I need it to have at least one 5.25" enclosure so I can put my DVD burner inside.

I also need a surround sound system that is pretty good but not insanely powerful. I am thinking 2.1 as I dont want wires all over the place and pay for a professional installation of in wall wiring. I want something with a kick to it but not something that will wake everyone in the house at night if its on. I need it to be able to be connected to my HTPC, my cable tv, satelite tv, dvd player, etc...

I want the remote control to do everything and it has to be very very easy to use as it will be used by my not so techie parents. By everything I would like it to fully control my TV, cable box so I can use it to switch channels on my digital scientific atlanta 4250HD, control my surround system, and my satellite tv as well.

My 42" HP LCD has a VGA input on it as well as HDMI. would the best way of connecting it to my HTPC be by a HDMI to DVI cable or is there a graphics card thats cheap under $150 that has HDMI built in and would let you use just a HDMI cable and would get better quality then a HDMI to DVI.

Finally I know I have asked lots of questions to you guys and am willing to paypal a reward if its not breaking the rules in this forum to the person who helps me the most with all the questions I am dealing with.

EDIT:

Well my budget is the following $300 for the HTPC case and remote control and $500 for a surround sound system I think 2.1 is still the best option for me as it doesnt involve wires going in the back of the room and only 2 speakers for right next to the tv.

you need a fing a budget you are willing to throuw down first.

hdmi to dvi there is no change in signal... same exact image.

surround sounds is more then 2.1. 4.0 is the smallest surround and it goes up from there.

unified control the correct way is expensive so after you post a budget ill give you and idea of what you need.

info is fee so don't worry. if some one builds it for you then that is up to you and them.

There are motherboards that have built in graphics that handle HDMI. Examples include Asus P5E-VM HDMI Intel G35. Or just pick up modern cards like the 8600 or 2600 and use the DVI ports. Convert them to HDMI (same signal as Tangent says) if needed.

2.1 is considered to be "stereo" not surround. 5.1 is normally the minimum home cinema "surround" sound. Also, if you're thinking at 5.1 is "more powerful" than 2.1, that probably not the right way of looking at it. You can get seriously expensive 2.1 Hi Fi systems that are more powerful than sound systems. (In fact, until home cinema took off, most good 2.1 Hi Fi systems were much more powerful than the crappy 5.1 surround "all-in-one" home cinema kits people got.)

Not sure why you're worried about "power" and waking up people. You have a much better chance of annoying everyone with a weaker system played at the same volume as a powerful system. A high quality powerful system sounds good when played at low or high volume. A low power system that might sound acceptable at low volume, can sound like crap at high volume. Especially those high bass systems computer guys like to get. Just turn the volume down in either case.

As for wires, just do it yourself. There are plenty of options. Run them along the wall and use clear staples that installers use to keep things neat if needed. Very hard to see the speaker cables.

An excellent link for building your own HTPC is here. It'll give you an idea of the cases out there and remotes : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972
The AV forums for HTPC are much more active than these forums so you might want to have a look.

Back