[HELP] Asus P8Z68-V-LX Overclock Cpu Not K

Zilog

n00b
Hi,
i'am new, i hope of not wrong Thread and post.

I have recovered a old Asus P8Z68-V-LX with a Xeon E3 - 1245 v2
The Cpu have a multiplier lock to x34 and turbo with all core lock x36

I try to overclock disabling Turbo, RefCap 100:100 and ram 100:100 and base multiplier x20 for try to raise a BCLK clock (my idea to set BLCK 133 a base multiplier 30-32 for arrive about 4.0/4.2 Ghz)
The Problem is that arrive to 108.0, but if set 108.1 the overclock fails.
It seems they are only failing by +0.1
Any advice/help is really welcome.
Thanks in advance to everyone.

Bclk overclocking is not viable on Z68 motherboards (or really any mainstream motherboards from the Sandy/Ivy Bridge era to now). The fact you got to 108 in the first place is pretty impressive, but going higher just isn't going to work.

I don't know if you can do this with the Ivy Xeons, but with the regular non-k (Core) Ivy chips you can raise the max turbo by 4 bins (40x in your case if it works). I did this with my i5 3570.

Or for a few bucks, buy a 3770k.

Bclk overclocking is not viable on Z68 motherboards ....
Grebuloner very thanks for this info!
Only for to know if i understood, if i buy for example, Z77 (next gen chipset) motherborad,there is always this problem because the cpu are Sandy/Ivy Bridge family.

Thanks a lot again!

Grebuloner very thanks for this info!
Only for to know if i understood, if i buy for example, Z77 (next gen chipset) motherborad,there is always this problem because the cpu are Sandy/Ivy Bridge family.

Thanks a lot again!
You're welcome.

Correct. Starting with the 6 series chipsets and continuing through today, no Intel mainstream motherboard is able to go more than a few MHz above 100 for the Bclk (the high end desktop ones can, but they use a cheat). It's because all the different clocks on the boards are tied to the Bclk and things not made to run off anything other than 100 stop working pretty quickly.

You're welcome.

Correct. Starting with the 6 series chipsets and continuing through today, no Intel mainstream motherboard is able to go more than a few MHz above 100 for the Bclk (the high end desktop ones can, but they use a cheat). It's because all the different clocks on the boards are tied to the Bclk and things not made to run off anything other than 100 stop working pretty quickly.
Thanks a lot for all info!

Back