hell froze over! (RIP one button mouse)

Wow...thinking of stopping by the apple store on my way home from work. Do you think they'll have them there (apple usually has stuff in store the day it's announced)?

when i first started toying with apple stuff i thought the little separated oval things on the side were buttons....cool, might have to try it out.

Wow, now they're only 5 years behind instead of 10.

I'll wait for the wireless version.

Dietrich said:
Wow, now they're only 5 years behind instead of 10.

I'll wait for the wireless version.

Huh?

You do realize that Mac's have supported two-button mice for quite a long time.

I use a Logitech on mine.

Hmm...no physical buttons, only touch-sensitive zones...

Since we all have our fingers resting on the button area, I wonder HOW sensitive they are to unintentional pressure.

valve1138 said:
Huh?

You do realize that Mac's have supported two-button mice for quite a long time.

I use a Logitech on mine.

I use a MX1000 on mine, so yes, I did realize that.

Actually, I'd say that all other mice are now behind. That scrolling wheel built in is the schizdazzle razzle.

I'd be curious to try it. Wonder if apple will add native support for other mice with more than 2 buttons (ala asignable etc).

Looks cool, I agree on waiting for a bluetooth version.

and hell froze over when apple switched to intel and microsoft started codeing PPC :p

Selecter said:
Actually, I'd say that all other mice are now behind. That scrolling wheel built in is the schizdazzle razzle.

What's so special about a scroll wheel? Every mouse made since years ago has had one of those! Yeah, I realize that with the Apple mouse you can scroll horizontally as well as vertically, but you can already do that with Microsoft's tilt-wheel mouses. And I know of a tool that's even better than a horizontal scroll ball anyway, and it's free! It's called word wrap. :p

man, looks awesome. it will be interesting to see how it feels though. I just bought one, couldn't wait. it's good that it works with 2000/xp as well, that'll be handy.

as for waiting for bluetooth, it's been posted other places that with all the extra stuff they packed in there (speaker, touch sensors, laser...) a battery might not last long. but i'm sure they're workin on it.

I'd be curious to try it. Wonder if apple will add native support for other mice with more than 2 buttons (ala assignable etc).

could you clarify? my MX1000 has every button fully customized under OSX. And It’s fun watching XP try and handle customizing the MX1000 without Logitech mouseware installed… this has kind of been the foray of the driver development department at peripheral companies for the last oh half decade or more?

Per the mouse, it's nice to see they added the nub from a laptop, i've missed mine since i ditched my IBM thinkpad 600e but i won't consider this new toy until it's bluetooth and rechargeable - both very legit standards i think for customers to expect.

-esr

TekieB said:
and hell froze over when apple switched to intel and microsoft started codeing PPC

IIRC, when Apple first released iTunes for Windows, the page for it on their web site was titled "Hell froze over."

Teh win.

Lmao, my boss took one look at it and said "Its orangutan Shit! you have to fondle and stroke it to do anything!" I agree with him, it doesn't look friendly to the hand.

I am so tempted on getting on tommorow. Why did the Apple Store have to open up 30 min. away. I would like a wireless version but the BT Mouse is getting annoying w/o scroll wheel. Does anyone know if it works with windows?

Ety said:
I am so tempted on getting on tommorow. Why did the Apple Store have to open up 30 min. away. I would like a wireless version but the BT Mouse is getting annoying w/o scroll wheel. Does anyone know if it works with windows?
http://www.apple.com/au/mightymouse/specs.html for shizzle. read near the bottom

"System Requirements Mac OS X (programmability requires Mac OS X v10.4.2 Tiger or later), or Windows 2000 or Windows XP " :D

We got 10 in at work today, sold 9 of them (one for display). First impressions, I liked it, although it was definitely odd to use (not because of design, but because of what I'm used to). I think the "touch-to-click" technology has a little bit of polishing left before it's really good (the mouse can be tricked into acting like a one button mouse if you leave fingers on both sides with relatively equal pressure on both sides). As for the "nub"...it's not a nub at all. Think of it more as a little track ball built into a mouse. The potential for the ball is pretty high, but I'm not sure how well it will work out in it's current iteration (I can see cleaning it being problematic).

esr2 said:
could you clarify? my MX1000 has every button fully customized under OSX. And It’s fun watching XP try and handle customizing the MX1000 without Logitech mouseware installed… this has kind of been the foray of the driver development department at peripheral companies for the last oh half decade or more?

Per the mouse, it's nice to see they added the nub from a laptop, i've missed mine since i ditched my IBM thinkpad 600e but i won't consider this new toy until it's bluetooth and rechargeable - both very legit standards i think for customers to expect.

-esr

I have no options in system preferences when I have my microsoft trackball connected other than which button I want to be my primary. (might be cause its microsoft but who knows)

edit: nevermind, I see them in expose options.

Could they maybe have just admitted that normal non-apple mousses beat them to the punch, and design it the same way as the other guys? I feel that this may be hard for some of those who are not quick to adapting to new computer stuff. It’s like they are in denial that these abilities in a mouse have been created by other companies. Get off your high horse, no offence, bite the bullet, and produce an mouse that is normal AND does all those things, its called almost any other mouse ....

Don’t judge me, I like it, I'm just not ignoring the immaturity of it all

k, and when they pull a microsoft what then? get sued for nabbing someone's patents? when has apple ever, late to the party, produced something common or mundane? what's immature about trying something different? what kind of growth is your company seeing this year, lol ;) .

-esr

You want something new? Have apple produce a mouse that is AMAZING, not new and scary to those unable to adjust, and sell it for just 1 more dollar then it takes to make ( and ship ). That would get an apple product into every household , and once there, the foot in the door takes effect.

1$ more then it costs to make? what wold do you live in? sigh i dont want this thread to get too off track but apple isnt going to be trying to get a mouse into every house, the money in peripherals isn't there like it is with other products, and you can't convince me the mouse will have the same domino effect of the ipod, it's an Input device. am i using a logicech mouse? yes. webcam? nope. speakers? nope. try again :D.

-esr

It sounds interesting, but for most of my years as a Mac user, I used a Kensington 4-button programmable trackball. I have a 4-button optical Kensington on my PC now. :)

I used to have a Dell mouse with that little dot in the middle.

Went to the Apple store and tried it out. My gripes:

1) The ball is waaaay tiny. You can do up and down scrolling well but side to side sucked and I certainly couldn't do 360 degree swoops and circles like the apple site said. More like rectangles.
2) If you use a mouse like I do (one finger on left click one on right click) then when you go to right click you will get a left click instead. Having one finger on both sides but applying pressure with the right makes the mouse think it's a left click. Wish they could tell the difference better.

bahula03 said:
and your point is...what?

I think he's trying to say logitech already beat them to the punch. Over and over again. From what i've been reading, the scroll ball is really misleading, since it doesn't really scroll well in any directions other than horizontal or verticle. Of course I have no first-hand experience, but I can't help but be very unimpressed with this mouse. I don't understand the droves of people going out to buy this thing when you can pick up wireless logitech or M$ mouse for cheaper that are way more tried and true.

Don't mean to sound like i'm coming here to mac bash, because i'm not. I'm just curious.

apple stores only got 10? man no wonder all the orders got delayed, well i hope they did this to get the beta testing out of the way.

Ordered one, I am a veteran windows user and I have to say, right click is usefull but is it needed? it really isnt. only in games, most people who bow down to right clicking are probbably gamers, i am a gamer but outside of gaming i really dont use right cliking, i do lots of keyboard shortcuts because it is way faster than right clicking, unless you only use the computer with 1 hand *eep. other than those people, right clicking isnt really needed so i think the issue of this lifting index finger is blown way out of proportion, i would buy this mouse even if it was 1 button mainly cause i've been wanting a mac mouse for my windows. I am a designer so comfort is really important for me as it invokes a calm neutral mindset which is my ideal environment for designing graphics. Just wish this thing wasn't delayed for a week.

I don't understand the desire to continually point out that Apple was "beaten to the punch" years ago in the input peripheral department, because we all KNOW that to be true. The fact remains that Mac users wanted a two-button mouse from Apple, and not just something that matches the current aesthetics of the Mac line, but because they put full faith and trust in the sure-fire interoperability of Apple products.

That being said, there are many Mac users who've become accustomed to their Logitechs and Kensingtons and whatever else, so they'll look at the Mighty Mouse with a cocked eye; the idea of Mac users drinking the Kool Aid without sniffing it first is misguided and frankly irritatingly cliched these days.

I have never seen so much hub-bub over a stinkin mouse before. :eek:

i got mine yesterday, and it's pretty cool. couple things jumped out tho:

the cord seems really short, could be bad for desktops

you have to lift your index finger from the left side to right click. annoying, but i'll probably get used to it

scroll wheel is small, but awesome. might be harder for people with un-dextrous fingers...

redheadfred said:
i got mine yesterday, and it's pretty cool. couple things jumped out tho:

the cord seems really short, could be bad for desktops

you have to lift your index finger from the left side to right click. annoying, but i'll probably get used to it

scroll wheel is small, but awesome. might be harder for people with un-dextrous fingers...

short cord: The Apple Pro Mouse had a short cord too, irked the crap out of me when my Apple Pro keyboard died. (you had to plug it into the keyboard)

i know this sounds stupid but, dont they make extentions for usb cords. But yah pretty stupid have to buy a extension when they just coulda made the cord longer.

As for the index finger, yah i was bum'd when i heard about that. but i think people naturally lift their index finger to right click anyways.

Heres a brain teaser, how do you right click and left click at the same time :eek:

davez82 said:
i know this sounds stupid but, dont they make extentions for usb cords. But yah pretty stupid have to buy a extension when they just coulda made the cord longer.

As for the index finger, yah i was bum'd when i heard about that. but i think people naturally lift their index finger to right click anyways.

Heres a brain teaser, how do you right click and left click at the same time :eek:

the whole idea of the short cord was so you didn't have 2 ft of slack on notebooks/when plugged into the apple keyboard

Back