Heatsink for Socket A?

SingleT

Limp Gawd
I just recently scored a 2500+ off of ebay for very cheap, and am going to build a system with it. I'm going for some nice PC3200 Corsair RAM, an Abit NF7-S, and Radeon 9800 pro etc.

But I need to know what a good heatsink is for socket A processors, so I can keep it cool.

Suggestions?

and..... who makes these?

Can I get some temps with these? Personal experience?

And will the stock fan do... or do they come with fans? Suggestions on fans?

zalman 7k series are good and quite n cheaper than thermalright.. but won't fit on nf7 series.

a vote for any of the thermalright HSFs mentioned above. I've also used the SK-7 by thermalright which is a little cheaper but performs well also.

Do you think if I just toss on some Arctic Silver 5 on with the stock heatsink and fan that a 200FSB wouldn't cause too much heat?

It would be next to impossible to score an SK7 these days though - it was discontinued a long time ago; replaced by the also discontinued SLK700 IIRC. As mentioned, any of the Thermalright's are a good choice, or Zalman - well regarded, no personal experience w/ them. Also you might want to look @ Swiftech's stuff, but a bit pricey IMO.

AS5/stock sink - probably do-able, but not going to net great temps, and would hold back your o/c if you wanted to try and find your chips max.

Thermalright, Thermaltake, Zalman...if you want a good price and won't be OCing you can try Speeze coolers...good luck

SingleT said:
Do you think if I just toss on some Arctic Silver 5 on with the stock heatsink and fan that a 200FSB wouldn't cause too much heat?

well, considering that the stock HSF that came with your 2500+ is the same one that comes with a 3200+...hitting 200fsb wouldn't be a problem at all with that heatsink and as5

The Thermalright ALX-800 is the copper aluminum hybrid version... The clip mount is much more convenient than the bolt on.

Available for $20 and under, and performance within a few degrees of the much more expensive and heavy copper sinks.

My mobile 2500+ is at 2.4GHz 1.69v - idle at 28c, load at 42c. Using AS Ceramique and Panaflo 80MM High speed. DFI LP b

It is around 60F in here... but it still holds good temps during the day.

Back