Heatsink detached from Mrvell chipset on a Sata port controller card

Lokite

n00b
Hi, Is there any way to re-attached the heatsink on a Marvell chipset on Sata controller card? The thermal glue has dried out causing the heatsink to detached from the chipset. Is it necessary to have a heatsink for the Marvell 88SE9215 chipset? I noticed on my 5 port Sata controller card with the JMicron JM 535 chipset , it does not have any heatsink attached to it. Thanks

Hi, Is there any way to re-attached the heatsink on a Marvell chipset on Sata controller card? The thermal glue has dried out causing the heatsink to detached from the chipset. Is it necessary to have a heatsink for the Marvell 88SE9215 chipset? I noticed on my 5 port Sata controller card with the JMicron JM 535 chipset , it does not have any heatsink attached to it. Thanks
touch it. is it hot? if so, thermal glue it back on. if not, its probably fine, as long as there is a bit of airflow over/around it.

First of all, what can you use to remove the old glue on the chipset?. Does JB weld conduct heat transfer well?

What you should look for is

Thermally Conductive Adhesive Transfer Tape​

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005105018/ - thicker to compensate for the old residue
Sand down what you safely can and simply slap it on. Pressure activates the glue. Good for 4 years after application.

Both thermal glue and JB weld have an epoxy base.
Dissolving cured epoxy chemically is next to impossible - https://www.chemtronics.com/when-mistakes-happen-how-to-remove-epoxy

Mechanically removing it is suggested in general which in your case i guess would involve sandpaper or a dremel with a brush of sorts and and a very, very steady hand.

And yes, JB weld does conduct heat, but not as well as specialized epoxy.
And even if it is said that it does not conduct electricity, since 3 out of 5 packs are fake i would not bet on its dielectric strength beeing 0 without further tests.

fyi:
I get my 2-part thermally conductive epoxy from a student making small batches and selling them on ebay.
1703306913788.png

You guys have students with access to lab equipment and free time as well?

Because supporting them making glue instead of drugs is a worthy cause imho
Otherwise 3M got you covered, as always.

Last edited:
You can buy self adhesive heatsinks for less than a dollar from China depending on size if you are concerned about it.

Do it like we used to do it back in the day,

Spread your favorite thermal grease on the chip taking care to leave 2 of the corners free of thermal grease, Then put a drop of superglue on the exposed corners of the chipset and place the heatsink on the chip.

This method will clean up easily as you can use acetone to remove the superglue.

Back