Headphones to meet these requirements

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
Alright, The time has come for another pair of headphones (Previous: Ultrasone HFI-650)

I need new headphones... My basic use would be this (Most used purpose first)

Music on computer
Games
Music on device (MP3, CDplayer)
Net Chat (Roger Wilco, TeamSpeak, etc)

So yeah, that's my uses.

Here's what I'm thinking so far.

*>I need to have a microphone, that's a must, but it doesn't neccessarily have to be on the headphone unit themselves (If you recommend headphones that do NOT have a mic on them please recommend a MIC if possible)

*> As far as the type, I don't mind closed or not, I'm probably leaning for closed because they generally have better quality.

*> Price range? well about $150 being the top

Note: I have an amp... a Porta Corda, it has power to do 27vDC, but I don't know where to buy a DC adapter of 27v.. if you have a link to a place I can buy that would be great (I've tried RadioShack)
Link to AMP < http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/portacorda.htm >

Well, I think thats all the info you need :) Thanks as always forum!... If you need more info let me know!

----------
Game I'm waiting for - World of Warcraft !

I need another pair ;) of something, maybe another Ultrasone, I just wanted to recollect opinons to see if the times have changed :) it was a year ago that I purchased that pair

Ultrasones are probably the best closed cans in that price range.

The AKG 271S are also a contender, but they're a bit more expensive:

http://headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020120271

I don't know anything about mics, so hopefully someone else will be able to give you some direction for that.

And closed headphones aren't necessarily better quality, but I think for gaming and movie watching they're more suitable because it gives you a more isolated feeling.

IMHO, the best "all around" headphone is the Sennheiser HD570's and HD 590's. I have the HD 590 personally. Actually, closed headphones "can" sound worse to some people. Its opinion.

Yes, there are other brands such as Sony, AKG, Grado, but they lack one thing the sennheiser's have. Ultimate Comfort! You can litteraly wear these things for Hours without even noticing them, where as with the closed headphones your ears get hot, sweety, and sometimes it kills to wear them over 2 hours. The open ear headphones also create a sound of "depth" and makes it sound like the sound is comming from the middle of your head....... which is the KEY to sound, whereas closed headphones may "force" the sound into your ears.
Another + is the fact they you can still hear things around you. This is a plus to me, maybe a "-" to others.

As for the sound of the HD590's, these are GODLY! THey can go deep with base, and they can do pitch highes. All in a perfect balance. Most of the sony's ive listened to are a little to overpowering in the base for me.... but that's my Opinion.

Another thing i love about these, is that they DO NOT require a lot of power to make them sound perfect. Thus making them a great choice for a computer, whereas some of the others may require ALOT of power. (bassicaly, impedance is what determins power, the lower the impdedance, the lower the power required.)

Styleish? maybe to some, not to others. You decide.

Another Major plus for me is the cord. First off, the cord is detachable....... A major plus... (just incase you get it stuck on something... it won't break, just come out). The cord is replaceable... very cheap. The cord is straight, not coiled. So you get the MAXIMUM length it says. Very lightweight, not even noticible. Also, it connects to the left phone, so you don't have 2 cordes.

If you can get them for 200$, ide get them. Any less and its a steal.

Note: the only reason i added the HD570s is because they are 1/2 the price of the HD590's. This makes them very attractive for just 100$, even if their sound is not perfect.

http://www.bigbangelectronics.com/portable_electronics/corded_headphones.asp has some for 205$ with a 25$ rebate and free shipping. Ive done business with bigbangelectronics before, they are good.

P.s., the Beyerdynamic head phones are almost identical to these, except they require alot more power to sound good.

~Hope this helps

Back