Headphones - HD202s

Personally, I can't comment o nthe HD202's as I have never used them.

Having said that, are you bent set on a closed style headphone? If not, the open HD497 are ok for the price of about 40$.
They are a little bright, with very little bass, and more of a "forced in your ear" sound rather then an actual open sound. They do vocals good though, especially women vocals. I can hardly tell the diffrence between the 497's and the HD590's when it comes to specific vocals.

~Hope this helps

i had the hd-497's and "downgraded" to the hd-202's.

I much prefer the hd-202's. they sound really good, and have alot more bass than the hd-497's did. The highs and lows are both very defined and clear and the mid range is decent. i listen to everything from metal to rap to country to smooth jazz, and these have never disappointed me in any way.

They are extremely comfortable (I often do 4+ hour gaming/listeing sessions and you forget they are on sometimes).

they sound great from pretty much any source. i have had mine hooked up to my dell digital DJ mp3 player, some el-cheapo personal cd-player and my denon 6.1 channel receiver and they sound great on all three.

The cord is really long which is great for gaming/watching DVD's, but it isn't so good for working out or doing yard work since you have to ball up the excess cord and hold it or put it in your pocket or something.

for the price i would highly recomend the hd-202's, especially over the more expensive hd-497's

Wouldn't recommend these phones. Personally I think the HD457s sound better (and they sound like crap too). I broke my pair by sleeping with them on and tearing the cord in my sleep when I turned and tossed. I disagree with above poster about the HD-202s sounding better than the HD497s. He's obviously a basshead. Having heard many higher-end Sennheiser headphones (including the Sennheiser HD580/600/650s, and the 555/595 as well as virtually the entire Grado lineup), the way I would describe these headphones are, quite bass-heavy, slightly muddy in the midrange (probably due to the overwhelming bass), and completely devoid of upper-highs. These phones have like a huge dip somewhere in the 8 KHz range. I was listening to my standard reportoire of violin solos and half the time when the violinist went into the high harmonic notes, I couldn't hear a damn thing. I had to switch to my other headphones to make sure it wasn't my ears or my sound card messing something up. Immediately went into the EQ and boosted the 8 KHz band up 12 dB (that's supposed to make it 4 times as loud BTW) and still couldn't hear a thing. As for the long cord issue, Sennheiser includes a nifty belt clip that you use to wrap your cord around and store, so I never had an issue with that. Perhaps the Sony EX51/71 or HD497 might be a good recommendation around that price level.

Wookie, it always amazes me how some people can talk about the same headphone, as if they were talking about totally diffrent ones...................

If this is any indication to you of how important subjective listening is with your own ears, be wise and always try and listen to them before getting them. Or, in the worst case, go with a company that allows you to return them for the full price, no "extra" fees (or be abel to trade them for another headphone, giving you the retail price you paid)

^_^

In the end though, I'de like to know what you choose. :)

202 arent that good as they have a large hump in the lower frequencies and have a recessed treble.

I would go with the HD201 if you are looking for something in this price range.

Have you ever heard the HD201s? Maybe if you need the isolation, it'd be good. But I find the Koss KSC75s better

I have heard the 201s and I find that it is mounds more comfortable than the 202 or 497.

The SQ is good for what they charge for it and I prefer it to the 202, 212 series.

Havent heard the KSC75 though.

Back