headphone bass?

holinger

Limp Gawd
okay, so I went to best buy the other day and put on some 400 dollar headphones they had out. . . and the bass was crazy. You felt like your head was shaking and it just really sounded good.... I put on a cheaper pair of skull candys and they also had a decent amount of bass, and i'm pretty sure they aren't even supposed to be all that great. My friend has a some jvc harx900s. . .. and they dont seem to have any bass like this.... Is this because best buy had their headphones hooked up to an amp (there was no visible amp but it could have been hidden in the display stand) or is there just no way to get harx900s to get good bass.... if its just an amp that makes these headphones sound good, what is a decently priced amp that i could look into buying.

thanks... sorry if this post is kinda confusing.

Sounds like you are referring to the Dr. Dre Beats by Monster, unless best buy puts up other headphones to audition nowadays.

Anyhow, no, it is not hooked up to an amp, they just play songs that brings out the bass out of those headphones. Closest headphone close to that as far as I know is the DT770.

Try listening to some higher end Grados. I never knew headphones could output that type of bass.

holinger:
what you're hearing is basically the differences between different headphones, just like different speakers have different characteristics, some produce more bass than others, some produce more treble than others

if you want a lot of thump, like EmptyQuarter said, Beyerdynamic DT770 would be a good option, so would Denon AHD2000, as far as needing an amplifier, it won't add "a ton" of bass, although just like with speakers, a higher quality amplifier, or higher power, quality amplifier, will produce a "fuller" sound, which may mean more low end, if the speakers were "power starved"

I saw the Beats on display (for demo purposes) at FutureShop (same company as Best Buy). I didn't try them, since the song choices were R&B and Hip Hop.

You probably won't find the same kind of bass Beats will give out in other headphones.

Unrelated: I saw Shure's SRH440 for sale there. Shure - pretty standard for Futureshop. SRH440 for $100CAD? That's boss.

it sounds like its source related. i have had the harx900 and they are capable of extreme bass, more so than most headphones. i actually sold them because they are too bassy, and i have the mentioned denon ahd2000 (nice) and had the dt770 pro (crapola)

I have those JVC headphones - they do bass very well. They hurt my ears though - so I might have to sell em..

Back