HDTV Monitor vs TV question

xhail

Limp Gawd
We have finally settled on getting a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV and I have a quick question.

I went to BB, CC and other stores to just look around and noticed that some of the tags said DLP monitor and others said DLP TV w/built in tuner. What the heck does that mean? Does that mean that I can not watch TV programs on a DLP monitor without TV tuner or something?

Thanks guys!

I am not hugely familiar with HDTV displays, but generally if something says "monitor" that means that it does not have a tuner built in. Thus, you need an external (HD)TV-tuner to get TV to show up on it.

you will be able to recieve "over the air" HD signals with just an antenna on the tv with the tuner. If you plan on just getting a HD DirectTV or HD Cable .. then you don't really need to pay extra for the built in OTA tuner since you will be using the one provided for cable or dss.

What about regular old tv programs? Will I be able to receive those without a tuner?

xhail said:
What about regular old tv programs? Will I be able to receive those without a tuner?

Yeah.. the tv will have a regular analog rf input on it for analog cable tv or a regular antenna... but you will most likely not be using the built in tuner if your going all out and buying an HDTV. If you want analog channels.. chances are you will probably be using svideo, dvi/hdcp, component, etc from your cable or dss box.

hmm...
My cable service is from CableVision and I do not use a cable box. I just hook up my current tv using the cable that comes out of the wall. (wish I knew the lingo a bit better so I could explain it.. sorry for my newb-ness)

So if I were to buy a HDTV monitor and just plugged in the cable that comes out of my wall, I should be able to watch regular TV programs like CBS or Comedy Central right?

Thanks again!

xhail said:
hmm...
My cable service is from CableVision and I do not use a cable box. I just hook up my current tv using the cable that comes out of the wall. (wish I knew the lingo a bit better so I could explain it.. sorry for my newb-ness)

So if I were to buy a HDTV monitor and just plugged in the cable that comes out of my wall, I should be able to watch regular TV programs like CBS or Comedy Central right?

Thanks again!

yeah.. that's what I meant about analog cable tv input.. you can plug directly into your tv from the wall if you just have analog. If you get digital cable then you will need a cable box usually provided by the cable company. You will usually get digital if you plan on getting ppv channels, guide information, and any channel over 125 or so. I am using a comcast HD box with pvr @ the moment. I can't see myself watching regular cable much anymore. I would get satellite but I can't get a clear view of the south sky. The Comcast guy said cable companies are going all digital soon to prevent theft.

Since the whole reason of getting an HDTV is for HD itself, you should really consider paying a few bucks a month extra and get your HD channel if Cablevision offers them. I pay an extra $10 dollars or so a month and I can record in HD too. Can't capture too much compared to regular tv but I then can use my AIW card for some awesome captures. It's not HD but pretty damn good. Unbelievable good captures actually.

Thank you very very much for all this information. Without this forum, I'd be lost :)

If it were totally up to me, I would definitely pay the extra 10 - 20 bucks for HD content and programming. Alas, the tv is a gift for someone who just wants a really big tv with the option of watching HDTV in the future (big maybe) and DVD's.

Thank you!!

np! I also need to find some friends that would get me bigscreens as gifts! :D

:)
I just have one last question on this subject hopefully.

I have a couple of HD clips and trailers from the Microsoft site from a last year or something like that. If I were to hook up my computer to my TV using an S-Video cable, would it display the videos in HD? If not, what kind of wires/connections would I need?

I am currently using an ATI 9500 on my computer. It has VGA, DVI and S-Vid out.

P.S. - TV gets here on tuesday and I'm hoping to show them what HD content looks like by showing them the preview vids :)

Thanks again

Back