HDMI Forum to AMD: No, you can’t make an open source HDMI 2.1 driver

is there not an option in the monitor to stop the cycling? that would be annoying... might try asking the oem like nobu just suggested.
There is, but for some reason it still cycles through all inputs where it can't immediately sync and lock onto the manually selected input. Under HDMI everything is fine, but being an older 4k monitor only 4k/30 is possible.

Sounds like that monitor isn't listening for the wake-up signal on the displayport input. Bummer. I'd send the manufacturer a message, maybe they'd update the firmware if it's not a hardware fault. Apparently it's common, though.

Meh, it's been like this for so long I'm sorta used to it now.

There is, but for some reason it still cycles through all inputs where it can't immediately sync and lock onto the manually selected input. Under HDMI everything is fine, but being an older 4k monitor only 4k/30 is possible.
shitty. shut down and power on works though? assuming thats what you do to hit bios then...

shitty. shut down and power on works though? assuming thats what you do to hit bios then...

Only if you wait for the monitor to fully enter it's sleep state. If you shut down and power up too fast, it still cycles through all inputs before locking onto DP.

At first I thought it was my 980Ti as Nvidia actually released a firmware patch to resolve this very issue. But the patch didn't resolve the problem, and my 2070S does the exact same thing.

Only if you wait for the monitor to fully enter it's sleep state. If you shut down and power up too fast, it still cycles through all inputs before locking onto DP.

At first I thought it was my 980Ti as Nvidia actually released a firmware patch to resolve this very issue. But the patch didn't resolve the problem, and my 2070S does the exact same thing.
well shit. new monitor time! ;)

Look, I'm all in favor of proprietary solutions and driving innovation, but if something is going to be an industry standard, that is a problem.

If something is going to be used as an industry standard - like HDMI is - then it should be free for all to use, without restriction. Otherwise you re giving some industry consortium a form of monopoly power to decide who can and cannot participate in the marketplace, and that is just wrong any way you look at it.
mmm I don't think that is true.

It was a group (consortium) of pretty much any manufacturer that makes TV's, Stereos, Bluray players, that came up with the HDMI standard. AMD and Nvidia too.

The standard is needed or the industry cannot create compatible products.

Every member gets to contribute to the design and use the design.

Anyone coming along later that wants to make products that use the standard, if they have to pay a royalty to the consortium to use the standard, who cares? The Consortium did the work creating it, now some el cheapo chinese cable mfr comes along and wants to make a cable for that standard, they should just get to use it for free? They didn't do any R&D to create the design, why should they get to profit from it for free? And that is assuming they can't use the design for free, for all I know maybe they can.

Back to my original point. It's not up to you, me, or AMD to decide that someone else's technology must be open source, or free to use.

mmm I don't think that is true.

It was a group (consortium) of pretty much any manufacturer that makes TV's, Stereos, Bluray players, that came up with the HDMI standard. AMD and Nvidia too.

The standard is needed or the industry cannot create compatible products.

Every member gets to contribute to the design and use the design.

Anyone coming along later that wants to make products that use the standard, if they have to pay a royalty to the consortium to use the standard, who cares? The Consortium did the work creating it, now some el cheapo chinese cable mfr comes along and wants to make a cable for that standard, they should just get to use it for free? They didn't do any R&D to create the design, why should they get to profit from it for free? And that is assuming they can't use the design for free, for all I know maybe they can.

Back to my original point. It's not up to you, me, or AMD to decide that someone else's technology must be open source, or free to use.

Totally is. Put in place a law that requires all industry standards to be free and open source, not profit centers.

If the DOJ were so inclined this may already indirectly be able to be prosecuted using anti-trust legislation.

Back