HDMI-DVI cable ?

Phrik

Gawd
So what is the difference between a $10 HDMI-DVI cable and a $100 HDMI-DVI cable ?

What's the deal with their price differences... I mean I do understand about paying the premium for quality, but those are like 8-10 times more.

I did reasearch already, couldn't find any good answer at all.

A digital cable is a digital cable.

If the run is short, you won't notice any discernible change in picture quality.

^^^^ Ya

snake-oil is still around despite the conversion(s) to digital. There are times when a higher quality cable would be needed, such as with long distance runs but otherwise there'll be no difference in picture quality whatsoever.

Most of us here and at other HT forums shop @ monoprice for our cables btw.

if you are running under 6 feet get the what you are willing to pay out for. at monoprice you can pick up a quality cable with sturdy connectors for a great price. if you are running long lengths look into gefen, bluejeans and a handful of others will perform perfect without raping your wallet.

Always buy decent quality cables. You can get some really cheap ass cables, and they won't work because they were made improperly. :p I've actually had that happen before.

You can get decent cables from Monoprice as already said previously. The most I'd recommend doing with a Monoprice cable is 35 or 50 feet, and that would be with their best quality 22AWG CL2 rated cable. They are fairly inexpensive anyhow, so it should be no problem justifying the price for it. I'm using their 35ft CL2 rated HDMI cable for my full 1080p setup, and it works awesome, no issues.

If you are doing short runs around 6 feet, the Monoprice 28AWG cables are fine.

1080p is really the true test for longer runs, and Monoprice is starting to sell their HDMI 1.3a tested cables.

NCIX.com occasionally put Monster Cables products on weekly sale for around generic prices, so I picked up few a DVI-HDMI and DVI-DVI cables for less than $30 each. Even with Monster Cable's quality control, I still got a bad apple. One of single-link DVI-DVI cable failed to display 1680x1050 resolution property - the windows got shifted to one side, so I went back to exchange for another one and it was working fine afterwards.

Good info folks...

I will just compare what info I can find over the cables from monoprice and compare it with what this country has available.

Cheers !

For television use, it doesn't matter and you won't need dual-link. That is only for PC monitors that have a resolution above 1920x1200.

DVI-D is a digital only cable/interface. It won't work with the analog signals.
DVI-I is digital and analog. Be careful with buying a cable like this though. Make sure the interface has the proper pins, or else the cable won't plug in.. I've done that before. :p

For television use, it doesn't matter and you won't need dual-link. That is only for PC monitors that have a resolution above 1920x1200.

DVI-D is a digital only cable/interface. It won't work with the analog signals.
DVI-I is digital and analog. Be careful with buying a cable like this though. Make sure the interface has the proper pins, or else the cable won't plug in.. I've done that before. :p

Noted sir ! Thanks !

Back