HDMI Audio to Reciever-Reciever cuts out unless audio is playing

omega9380

n00b
OK, let me start by laying out my setup. My gaming rig has 2 AMD Radeon HD 6870 cards in Crossfire for the video. I'm sporting the Catalyst 14.9 drivers. I have an Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 surround reciever. HDMI connections are thus: TV-->Receiver out, Receiver in port 4-->PC, all via HDMI.

Here is my quandary. Whenever the PC is not playing any audio, say if I'm at my desktop or fiddling around in AutoCAD, the "HDMI" and "PCM" indicators on the display of the receiver cut out, with an audible click from the receiver. Video is fine. System beeps cause the two indicators to flash for a second then shut off. If I am playing a game or video, I have no issues hearing the audio except it takes a second, complete with the audible click, for the audio to kick in. If I check the "Info" panel on the Onkyo OSD when nothing is playing, it reads thus:

Code:
Input        Audio
             Unknown
             Unknown
Output       Direct
             2.0 ch

When audio is playing, after the click, it reads thus:
Code:
Input        HDMI 4
             Multich PCM
             5.1 ch    48 kHz
Output       Direct
             5.1 ch

It has been this way since I got the reciever 2.5 yrs ago. Its mostly an annoyance, but if it can be fixed, I figured some smart dude (or dudette) on the HardForums would be the brain to tell me what I am missing. Any help would be great, thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
Back